PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] help completing initial installation

lee.simply
August 25th, 2009, 06:04 PM
i'm attempting to install ubuntu 9.10 alpha 4 on my brand new asus altec srs with windows vista and an intel processor. i've downloaded the pc intel*86 desktop version to cd. i want to run the demo with full installation version to test it out first since i'm new to linux. my computer won't start the installation with reboot so i've run the "help me to boot from cd" option. when i get to the option screen to choose ubuntu instead of windows vista, i cannot select ubuntu. it gives a countdown, i highlight the option and click enter, it goes to the asus start screen then goes right back to the option/countdown screen. i have no idea what i'm doing wrong. should i try the 64 bit pc (amd64) installation instead? i don't have an amd processor which is why i didn't use it. also, the other one is supposed to be the one most people need. any suggestions?

i know almost nothing about computers so please go easy on me. i've been reading through some threads trying to find out an answer so i wouldn't have to post my own. but i don't understand most of the answers. i'd really appreciate if you'd dumb it down a little for me. =)

running_rabbit07
August 25th, 2009, 06:08 PM
I would recommend getting 9.04 and installing it. 9.10 is still under development until late October and is unstable.

To get thin install started, you will have to hit the ESC button or F2 or something like that to get into the boot menu and tell it to boot from the CD drive.

lee.simply
August 25th, 2009, 06:30 PM
thanks! i'll try this.