PDA

View Full Version : Kwin better than Compiz

Ascenti0n
August 25th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I use Ubuntu-Gnome as my predominant desktop env. but I also have Kubuntu-KDE 4.2 installed as well.

I noticed that under Kwin, I can set the KDE equivalent to Compiz's 'shift switcher' and it actually works better. More specifically, under Kwin you can alt-tab to view and switch between apps on that desktop - EVEN IF THAT APP IS MINIMISED. Under Compiz, there is less functionality, you see a oversized icon.

the actual method of switching between the apps is also easier under Kwin, you just keep finger down on alt, whilst pressing the tab key to move through the apps, once you have your chosen app to the front, you just let go of the keys to capture focus, not so under Compiz.

HavocXphere
August 25th, 2009, 04:04 PM
The answer is 42.

dragos240
August 25th, 2009, 04:06 PM
The answer is 42.

That's the answer to everything.

Hogosha
August 25th, 2009, 04:08 PM
even what is 42 not equal to?

RiceMonster
August 25th, 2009, 04:09 PM
That's the answer to everything.

No, it's the answer to life, the universe, AND everything.

Ascenti0n
August 25th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Thread hijackers - are a pain in the a**

RiceMonster
August 25th, 2009, 04:21 PM

no u

Hogosha
August 25th, 2009, 04:21 PM
oh... oh god, have i become what i hate?

am i a troll?

CJ Master
August 25th, 2009, 04:33 PM
oh... oh god, have i become what i hate?

am i a troll?

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k225/Salux/cttdswhc.jpg

Hogosha
August 25th, 2009, 04:37 PM
what kind of cookies?

MasterNetra
August 25th, 2009, 04:39 PM

Again people miss the point of that. 42 isn't the actual answer to life the entire thing was a pun off of "multiply" Its amazing how many people missed that >.>

CJ Master
August 25th, 2009, 04:43 PM
what kind of cookies?

Your favorite type. :)

racerraul
August 25th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Lollerskates!!!1!!!

NightwishFan
August 25th, 2009, 08:15 PM
To answer OP question. Compiz is much much more configurable than kwin currently. I am sure the shift switcher can exactly match the features on kwin. You can do so by installing the CCSM if you have not already. If it cannot do what you want it to that is surprising. Enjoy. :)

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

Bachstelze
August 25th, 2009, 08:18 PM

No, it's the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything. The Ultimate Question itself is unknown.

Tibuda
August 25th, 2009, 08:40 PM
To answer OP question. Compiz is much much more configurable than kwin currently. I am sure the shift switcher can exactly match the features on kwin. You can do so by installing the CCSM if you have not already. If it cannot do what you want it to that is surprising. Enjoy. :)

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

Actually the OP is right. You can't make Compiz display the minimized windows using compizconfig-settings-manager (apt:compizconfig-settings-manager).
See this brainstorm idea (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/4462/) and this bug report (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz-fusion-plugins-main/+bug/136336).

RATM_Owns
August 25th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Xcompmgr > Compiz > Kwin

:D

HavocXphere
August 25th, 2009, 11:12 PM
I was just pointing out that the OP lacked any kind of question or request for help or hint as to what is expected.

The fact that it is posted in the Community Cafe suggested that the OP was not looking for an actual solution since tech support threads are specifically excluded from the Subforum scope. Is it intended as a straight forward rant? Or an illustration of kwin being superior? Or a suggestion as to how compiz could be improved? Hell, judging by the thread title it could even have been a thread aimed to trigger a flame war.:confused:

Tech issues are difficult enough as is without having to guess at what the OP hopes to gain from subsequent posts.

No actually I clicked on your thread with the intention of contributing meaningfully. Hijacking a thread requires the original thread to have a direction. I couldn't see any, so I decided a humorous allusion would be the next best option to a proper response.

the answer, which turns out to be 42. Unfortunately, The Ultimate Question itself is unknown.

When asked to produce The Ultimate Question, the computer says that it cannot

Muppeteer
August 25th, 2009, 11:25 PM
To the OP, you should know better to try to compare anything from KDE to precious default gnome/compiz on here. I think the trolling was the equivalent to burying heads in sand, or sticking fingers in ears and screaming 'la la la la la'.

NightwishFan
August 26th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Did not know that. Odd, I hope Compiz can keep up, and not die.

RiceMonster
August 26th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Did not know that. Odd, I hope Compiz can keep up, and not die.

Well, Kwin is going to continue being a KDE only thing, so I don't see compiz going away. However if you're using KDE anwyay, I don't see why it should matter.

NightwishFan
August 26th, 2009, 03:50 PM
I gave up on KDE when I found out they are worrying about 'microblogging' when the DE is not even finished, especially Dolphin. I am in the GNOME camp now.

t.rei
November 8th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I am using kde and compiz. Because it IS more customizable and there is NO good looking kwin border. :P Seriously, I haven't found one. O_o

One thing that I find highly disturbing in kwin is: moving a window to the next or previous desktop using a hotkey-combo. That is so much smoother on compiz. On kwin the window I'm moving jumps to the next desktop, then the view slides towards it. *sigh*

But kwin is progressing quickly. Maybe some day it will be better suited for kde than compiz.

TheNessus
November 8th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Kwin also previews minimized windows, as Compiz cannot, and only previews open windows (what's the point in that?)

But since I use Ubuntu, and have come to the conclusion that Kubuntu is just appalling (KDE is ok, but it's simply NOT for Ubuntu, not yet), so I'm back on Gnome. So I won't have these two cool Kwin features.. boo hoo.

vagrantrooper
November 8th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Kwin is much better integrated than compiz, it being a third party resource hog offers no practical usability other than if your handicapped.

So yeah for me kwin is better than compiz. ):P

praveesh
November 8th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Iam not sure whether kwin is better , but it integrates well with kde. Compiz doesn't integrate well with Gnome and kde . For running seemless mode of virtualbox , I need to switch off compiz. It's just one incident . Surprisingly, If I change the window manager of Gnome to kwin , the seemless mode works fine!!

RaZe42
November 8th, 2009, 05:42 PM
No, it's the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything. The Ultimate Question itself is unknown.

No, in the last thing it's said (if I remember correctly) that the Ultimate Question is:

"What is eight times six?"

Which, by the way, isn't 42. (obvious much?)

SKLP
November 8th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Xcompmgr > Compiz > Kwin

:D

You got it wrong, it's:

gnome-shell > metacity (with compositor enabled) > kwin > compiz > Xcompmgr

shafin
November 8th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Iam not sure whether kwin is better , but it integrates well with kde. Compiz doesn't integrate well with Gnome and kde . For running seemless mode of virtualbox , I need to switch off compiz. It's just one incident . Surprisingly, If I change the window manager of Gnome to kwin , the seemless mode works fine!!

Seamless mode woks fine with compiz here.

hoppipolla
November 8th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I love the simplicity and integration of Kwin, but I find Compiz more powerful and flexible. It depends what I want to achieve and on my mood! heh :)

Generally, I use Kwin :)

NightwishFan
November 9th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I have tried the Gnome shell, and like it. I wonder where they are going with it though...

Kwin supports unredirecting fullscreen windows, and I am not sure if Metacity/Mutter does.

TheNessus
November 15th, 2009, 01:44 AM
I use Ubuntu-Gnome as my predominant desktop env. but I also have Kubuntu-KDE 4.2 installed as well.

I noticed that under Kwin, I can set the KDE equivalent to Compiz's 'shift switcher' and it actually works better. More specifically, under Kwin you can alt-tab to view and switch between apps on that desktop - EVEN IF THAT APP IS MINIMISED. Under Compiz, there is less functionality, you see a oversized icon.

the actual method of switching between the apps is also easier under Kwin, you just keep finger down on alt, whilst pressing the tab key to move through the apps, once you have your chosen app to the front, you just let go of the keys to capture focus, not so under Compiz.

I just made it so in Compiz: in CCSM, go to Switch Shifter, and in key-bindings, make "next window" work with alt-tab instead of super-tab, it will ask you to disable initiate, say yes. Makes the thing initiate with alt-tab, switch a window with just tab, and choose a window with releasing the keys.

Another classic case in which people complain and not check to see if things are possible.

oh, by the way, compiz can do mipmaps, Kwin can't.

ssri
November 15th, 2009, 02:57 AM
I just made it so in Compiz: in CCSM, go to Switch Shifter, and in key-bindings, make "next window" work with alt-tab instead of super-tab, it will ask you to disable initiate, say yes. Makes the thing initiate with alt-tab, switch a window with just tab, and choose a window with releasing the keys.

Another classic case in which people complain and not check to see if things are possible.

oh, by the way, compiz can do mipmaps, Kwin can't.

Sounds so easy that a grandma can even do it!

/s

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 15th, 2009, 03:38 AM
I used to like KWin better than Compiz but then I figured out how to use the settings manager. Compiz is WAY better imo.