PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft loves its competitors

froggyswamp
August 25th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Folks,
just compare the default list of search engines present by default in Microsoft's IE8 and Google's Chrome (image attached). That says it all how both companies treat competition.

ps: adding a new search engine in IE8 isn't obvious either, no surprise.
pps: to those who might say "win7 isn't final yet" - it's the final (rtm) build of windows 7, so no, it's the "final" version.

Swagman
August 25th, 2009, 03:31 PM
?

Means nothing to me

/leaves thread

.Maleficus.
August 25th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Folks,
just compare the default list of search engines present by default in Microsoft's IE8 and Google's Chrome (image attached). That says it all how both companies treat competition.
Yet you're using Windows?

ps: adding a new search engine in IE8 isn't obvious either, no surprise.
It's not obvious but it isn't at all hard either. You add them on the screen you just posted - if you can find that you can add new engines.

Ozor Mox
August 25th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Hm, interesting find actually. Both Google and Mozilla are businesses trying to make money, however they both include lots of search engines by default, and have a clear ability to add more.

RiceMonster
August 25th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Meh, who cares?

HavocXphere
August 25th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Folks,
just compare the default list of search engines present by default in Microsoft's IE8 and Google's Chrome (image attached).
:-| *blinks* The window you screenshot'd is not intended to display a full list. The full list is accessible by clicking "Find more search providers".

That says it all how both companies treat competition.
Or maybe its just a different design choice? One window for common search engines and one for complete list.

Microsoft does a lot of underhanded things, but I don't see any here.

On a tangent: Anybody know how to add a custom crafted search query to FF. With IE7 you go to the search page you are after put "TEST" into the search box and copy the resulting url into the add new search engine. Couldn't find similar functionality in FF.

tgalati4
August 25th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I don't know about IE8, but previous versions you could easily add them:

Ozor Mox
August 25th, 2009, 04:29 PM

Oh god, that makes me feel quite ill!

Makes me think of when I was younger and we only had one family PC with one user account running Windows 98 with IE6. It used to end up with so much of this kind of crap on it. I learnt a lot about fixing computers, though I still don't know where my skill of breaking computers came from :D

MasterNetra
August 25th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Big deal, sense when do they have to have there competitors pre-added? All you have to do is click on the "Find more search providers" and there ya go. This thread is pointless. >.>

You still can. Google and a number of other engines can be added this way.

froggyswamp
August 25th, 2009, 04:52 PM
All you have to do is click on the "Find more search providers" and there ya go. This thread is pointless. >.>

You still can. Google and a number of other engines can be added this way.

Wow, what a shortsighted answer, you obviously don't know what's the difference between "out-of-the-box" and "go get it if you need" approach when it comes to getting the masses use your products.

That's the difference, most people go those extra steps and answer "are you sure" questions, unless they really really need Google. i.e. Microsoft is trying to transform the game so that it has to be good enough while Google must be hands down better, because both MS and Google know the masses do extra steps unless the difference is huge. There's a thing called psychology of the masses you should read about it.

To answer a prev question: I'm using many OSes, mostly Ubuntu.

MasterNetra
August 25th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Wow, what a shortsighted answer, you obviously don't know what's the difference between "out-of-the-box" and "go get it if you need" approach when it comes to getting the masses use your products.

That's the difference, most people go those extra steps and answer "are you sure" questions, unless they really really need Google. i.e. Microsoft is trying to transform the game so that it has to be good enough while Google must be hands down better, because both MS and Google know the masses do extra steps unless the difference is huge. There's a thing called psychology of the masses you should read about it.

Would that fall under sheeple psychology? Bah my apologies I guess I'm a bit cranky today for some reason.

froggyswamp
August 25th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Would that fall under sheeple psychology? Bah my apologies I guess I'm a bit cranky today for some reason.

To a significant degree it does, it's a matter of taste how one calls it, whether cynically or not. The art of imposing something upon the crowds mostly without them even realizing it - can be split into about 6 big categories, which is something which is not being taught in the schools, no surprise.

Dragonbite
August 25th, 2009, 05:42 PM

So you are referring to the list of engines Google provides vs the "ours only" approach Microsoft provides for IE8?

I remember when I first upgraded to IE8 it had me go through and set some things like the search engine (which I picked Google of course).

MasterNetra
August 25th, 2009, 07:12 PM
To a significant degree it does, it's a matter of taste how one calls it, whether cynically or not. The art of imposing something upon the crowds mostly without them even realizing it - can be split into about 6 big categories, which is something which is not being taught in the schools, no surprise.

Yea, its not in school because the government (US, and probably a sizable others) does it too.