PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Microphone stopped working/Other recording/sound issues

elcisitiak
August 25th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I've been having some major recording issues recently.

When I started recording, using Intrepid, everything was more or less fine.

I don't know whether the problems started before or after upgrading to Jaunty, but they're intermittent and seemingly random.

Problems I've had:

Audacity refuses to record anything, although no settings have been changed since I was last able to properly record.

Audacity records, but it also records everything the computer's playing (not through the speakers or anything, but directly as though it were on stereo mix).

Can't record what's being played through the computer (stereo mix) - at least not intentionally!

Skype complains that there was a problem with audio input or playback.

Skype allows me to make a call, and the other party can hear me but I can't hear them.

After or while using Rhythmbox, sometimes the computer will stop playing audio, from Rhythmbox or any other program, until I do a full reboot.
-----

Most recently, right now, the problem I'm having is I tried to call a friend on Skype, and we spent an hour trying to make it work, to no avail. I changed the settings on Skype to pulse, because that's the only thing that's ever worked for me for Skype and Audacity, and it then allowed me to place/answer the call without complaining of a problem with audio. She couldn't hear me (or possibly she could hear me but I couldn't hear her - it was unclear to me), so I called the Echo service. I heard it, but when I recorded my message, I heard nothing played back. After a while of fiddling with settings, we gave up. I then went back to Audacity to record some more. It had been working just fine before I attempted to use Skype. When I went to record now, however, it didn't register. I changed all settings backed to the way they started. I did a full reboot of the machine, and still Audacity refused to work, although I didn't open Skype or Rhythmbox or anything.

What can I do to make any or all of these things work?