PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hard drive light constantly on after SATA PCI card addition

AnandP83
August 25th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Hello all.

So i decided to use ubuntu 9.4 to run as a file server for my home. The install went fine on the IDE drive. I then added two SIIG SATA cards, ubuntu recognized it, threw 4 1TB HDDs in there created RAID 5 with mdadm, mounted it - and it works.... However I am noticing something weird. The hard drive light is always - solid. On post it does the normal flickering, but once it hits the grub loader... it's on. It does not sound like the drives are doing any read/writing. When I start dumping data on them, I can hear it - and its loud. I have done some google searching and found that some other people have experienced this - however it was with Fedora. Is this a problem. I have a feeling the cards are causing the problem, but it's not affecting the drives. The server will be sitting in the basement, so I will not really see it - i just don't want it to be a more serious issue. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks
-Anand

AnandP83
August 26th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Anyone?