PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Not Bothered by Windows UAC

chessnerd
August 25th, 2009, 06:05 AM
I personally see nothing wrong with the UAC prompts, but for some reason people freaked out over the feature and made it out to be a major reason to condemn Vista. Sure, I think the prompts could be less frequent, but they are not at a level I find frustrating or even moderately annoying.
One of the big "features" that Windows 7 is toting is that it reduces the number of UAC prompts, but the way they reduced it doesn't help security at all, it actually hurts it. I would have preferred it if developers had spent time trying to make the process more intelligent rather than wasting time trying to "get it out of the way" because people complained about having to click a button. One example is that there shouldn't need to be a UAC prompt for adjusting font size. Why should that need admin privileges? If all a virus did was make my font big I wouldn't really care that much.
The UAC, in my opinion, is not a bad thing and, if more development time was spent on improving it, it could be a powerful security feature.
Does anyone else feel this way?

Crunchy the Headcrab
August 25th, 2009, 06:10 AM
I've never had a problem with UAC. I feel it addresses a problem that Windows has neglected for a long time. So yeah, I basically agree.