PDA

View Full Version : Show Dell what we think.

FreezWay
August 25th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Dell has a few, and I mean FEW, Ubuntu options. On their Ideastorm (suggestion box) website there are a large number of "Add a Linux option/add a no windows option" ideas floating about with a large number of votes. To up-the-anty(sp), why don't we all show dell what we want. If one company (that a lot of people have heard of, System76 and ZaReason lack this) offers Ubuntu, it will gain popularity. If Ubuntu gains popularity, more companies will offer it.

hanzomon4
August 25th, 2009, 04:22 AM
They already do offer ubuntu... They could offer it on more hardware though

tubasoldier
August 25th, 2009, 04:29 AM
On Dell's web site you have to click the Open-Source PCs on the left hand column down towards the bottom. There you can find Ubuntu on a Dell.

FreezWay
August 25th, 2009, 04:29 AM
yeah, but only on a few computers. i think like 4 that the average user would be able to navigate to, there may be more, but they are hidden DEEP in the bowels of the website.

http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp208/FreezWay_Productions/the4.png

http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp208/FreezWay_Productions/thenone.png

tubasoldier
August 25th, 2009, 04:35 AM
yep, the complaint has been the same since they started selling. The best way to get them to the front page is to buy more of them.

There is one computer on the main page that has ubuntu by default, the dell mini.

But I think I would rather buy from system76 and get the great customer support.

mikewhatever
August 25th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Voting on ideastorm is a good thing, and I've cast mine already, but what's really needed is sale numbers. The problem has been that Linux users don't buy computers with Linux, preferring Windows options. It's not too hard to find posts here with people suggesting Windows based models over Ubuntu based for whatever silly reasons. There isn't enough demand for Linux.
That said, every time I browse dell.com, I can't help but gloat with envy. You can actually order Ubuntu preinstalled, and there is also Zareason and System76. All one can hope for here in Israel is a computer without Windows.

macogw
August 25th, 2009, 10:11 PM
yep, the complaint has been the same since they started selling. The best way to get them to the front page is to buy more of them.

There is one computer on the main page that has ubuntu by default, the dell mini.

But I think I would rather buy from system76 and get the great customer support.

Not true. There are more than that. Go to Home->Notebooks. You can filter by "OS: Ubuntu Linux" and yes there are a few Minis that show up, but there are other laptops available with it as well.

Technoviking
August 25th, 2009, 10:33 PM
At least Dell is offering Ubuntu on some machines, they should be given kudos and encouraged to offer more. I willing to bet we will see more Ubuntu offerings on Dell closer to the release of the next Ubuntu LTS.

That being said, I have seen System 76 laptops and they are very slick.

T-V

juancarlospaco
August 25th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Buy more Dells, they may offer more Ubuntu.

RabbitWho
August 25th, 2009, 10:56 PM
They used to offer linux on the really cheap dell PCs in Ireland, now they're not even there. I had no choice but to get a vista I'm never going to use.. but as I've already used it to recover grub files 3 times, it's not so bad ;)

koshatnik
August 25th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Dell has a few, and I mean FEW, Ubuntu options. On their Ideastorm (suggestion box) website there are a large number of "Add a Linux option/add a no windows option" ideas floating about with a large number of votes. To up-the-anty(sp), why don't we all show dell what we want. If one company (that a lot of people have heard of, System76 and ZaReason lack this) offers Ubuntu, it will gain popularity. If Ubuntu gains popularity, more companies will offer it.

1) Dell make awful computers.

2) It would be better if computer manufacturers sold computers with no OS on it at all and let people choose.

3) People that use linux tend to install their own thing their own way anyway

4) Its cheaper to build your own PC from scratch

5) There are far better laptops and notebooks that Dell ones

6) Linux lacks mainstream software support and until that changes, people are reluctant to carry linux, or use it. (however you may feel about it) Its human nature.

RabbitWho
August 26th, 2009, 12:24 AM

2) It would be better if computer manufacturers sold computers with no OS on it at all and let people choose.

6) Linux lacks mainstream software support and until that changes, people are reluctant to carry linux, or use it. (however you may feel about it) Its human nature.

What's wrong with Dell computers? Do you hate the laptops too? How come?

Sealbhach
August 26th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Best way to encourage Dell with their Ubuntu marketing is to actually buy stuff from them. Just saying.

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 26th, 2009, 01:23 AM
The problem I have with buying a Dell with Linux pre-installed are the hardware specifications of those machines. This also applied to other manufacturers as well.

The last time I was doing price comparison for a new computer purchase, I wanted one with Linux pre-installed. I didn't really care what distro. That was over a year ago, maybe the situation has changed since then.

I do things with my computer that work best with more than 1 GB of RAM and 160 GB of disk storage; such as, video capture and editing. In my price comparison I selected one of the Linux machines, and then selected upgrades to RAM and disk. With the options selected, the cost of the computer with Linux pre-installed was more than buying a stock PC (same specifications) with Windows installed.

I think companies like Dell think that Linux machines are only used for browsing, email, playing some Flash videos, and listening to music. I'm not convinced they realise that some Linux users actually do some processor, memory, and storage intensive tasks with their computers. In my opinion they offer Linux computers that are intended for Internet use only; such as, netbooks.

I am disappointed with computer vendors in general for not offering computers with the same hardware specifications at the same price no matter what OS is installed. However, like I said previously, that was over a year ago, maybe the situation has changed since then.

3rdalbum
August 26th, 2009, 03:23 AM
This might possibly be limited by their hardware selection.

Dell probably negotiates with suppliers to get components for their computers for use with Windows, and once they've made an agreement THEN do they look at Linux compatibility. If a computer has the right components to work flawlessly with Linux, then they offer it. If something (like suspend or hibernate) is broken on the machine and it's not easily fixable, then they won't offer it.

That's what I assumed was happening.

karamu
August 26th, 2009, 03:56 AM
I recently bought a couple of Dell Mini 10v's with Dell's custom Ubuntu 8.04 installed. It was nice to be able to get Linux machines- the price I paid for them was pretty good, at least JPY 10,000 cheaper than comparable machines in the shops- I don't know for sure but I am guessing that at least part of the price difference is that I wasn't paying for WIndows licenses.

Having said that, Dell's version of Ubuntu was somewhat limiting- the major flaw was the absence of any upgrade route past 8.04. Jaunty had a couple of hardware glitches so I am now on Karmic alpha three and very happy.

mikewhatever
August 26th, 2009, 04:17 AM
I also recently bought a Sell mini 10, originally sold with XP. My request to remove XP was granted, which provided for a 30$ discount in the local currency. It runs Jaunty neatly, though not without tweaking (gma500 :)). A year or two back, asking to remove Windows was heresy in and by itself.

Wiebelhaus
August 26th, 2009, 04:23 AM
How about we not complain and buy what they offer , more dollars will influence expanding Ubuntu offerings then yadda yadda.

You know what they say "Money talks and b..."

karamu
August 26th, 2009, 04:47 AM
I also recently bought a Sell mini 10, originally sold with XP. My request to remove XP was granted, which provided for a 30$ discount in the local currency. It runs Jaunty neatly, though not without tweaking (gma500 :)). A year or two back, asking to remove Windows was heresy in and by itself.

That's pretty sweet- I've heard some rumours of Windows refunds but they seem to be few and far between.

While it seems that Dell's Ubuntu support is somewhat half hearted, it is good to see a major manufacturer shipping Linux pre-installed.

juancarlospaco
August 26th, 2009, 07:02 AM

1)No.
2)No, how to try if its fully working OK?, people unpack and want to use it.
3)No, not all people are so techie.
4)Yes, so...?
5)Yes, so...?
6)No, its not true

TuckLive
August 26th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Dell makes pretty good desktops and laptops and I do give them kudos for at least offering Ubuntu on some models. I agree that we need to voice our opinion more on Dell.com especially since the new LTS will be here in eight months.

Johnsie
August 26th, 2009, 09:44 AM
I don't think DELL computers are that bad. Some of them use special parts that are hard to get hold of though. I'm a programmer at work but I also fix computers sometimes and I would recommend them. Most of them also seem to be quite Ubuntu compatible compared to some other non-branded computers. I guess it depends what you put in there.

I'm not convinced that it is cheaper to build your own computer and not all computer parts go well together. I've seen some home-made computers that are complete junk (and also fire hazards).

koshatnik
August 26th, 2009, 11:30 AM
What's wrong with Dell computers? Do you hate the laptops too? How come?

Dell knowingly sold us 20 faulty desktops (with a known motherboard problem) then charged us £120 a pop to replace them when they all started to go. I work for a charity. So, that was nice. I was talking to a guy working for a company that also bought the same model from dell and he said theirs all went too. Dell refused to acknowledged the fault was theirs, and by law they should have replaced them for free as it was a design fault.

Dell use cheap components in all their computers and they dont care if stuff is faulty. So, in my experience their computers suck, as does their customer service.

And their laptops are nothing special. Apple make the best laptops imho, but they are hideously overpriced.

Screwdriver0815
August 26th, 2009, 11:32 AM
to all those people who say "we have to buy more Linux at Dell, then they offer more"...

Dell is laughing at you.

Thats it. They earn more money with you than with a Windows computer and they will of course not extend the Linux offers because this would cost them money.
If it would be like this that you just have to buy Linux computers to extend the offerings: why was the Inspiron 1545 with Ubuntu dropped? It sold not bad, I think.
Now they have one Netbook offered over here, thats it... no Desktop anymore... just a stupid Netbook... this is ridiculous.
Of course they will say that people just haven't bought enough when they drop the Linux offers. And the real reason is: a better contract with Microsoft. Anyway: if people just haven't bought enough, then the offer was too expensive.

Why don't they offer computers without OS? Like lots of other computer vendors? One would say "because its their business model" - exactly. Its their business model to sell Windows Computers and earn some extra money by offering the most popular Linux.

I think they use the Linux-offers as an argument for their negotiations with Microsoft.

cascade9
August 26th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Dell knowingly sold us 20 faulty desktops (with a known motherboard problem) then charged us £120 a pop to replace them when they all started to go. I work for a charity. So, that was nice. I was talking to a guy working for a company that also bought the same model from dell and he said theirs all went too. Dell refused to acknowledged the fault was theirs, and by law they should have replaced them for free as it was a design fault.

Dell use cheap components in all their computers and they dont care if stuff is faulty. So, in my experience their computers suck, as does their customer service.

And their laptops are nothing special. Apple make the best laptops imho, but they are hideously overpriced.

That sucks. Dell is also fond of 'custom' BIOSes that limit your choices as to what you can put into the motherboard, etc. Not so much with the desktops, but with server systems, yes. I've seen a lot of Dells over the years, and while they have got better, I'm still unimpressed by any of Dell systems I've worked on.

But IMO all the big manus arent that great. Its one of he reasons why I build my own systems from parts.

I think you may well be right Screwdriver0815

Screwdriver0815
August 26th, 2009, 11:48 AM
ah and as it goes for special components... a colleague of me has bought 2 cheap Dell Optiplex at Ebay.

One of them had an issue with the mainboard or some drives - I don't remember any details - but anyway: to get this computer working he needed a special adapter to connect all the drives and also some kind of special processor cooling stuff was required... the adapter he got sent from new Zealand because all over the world you won't get them... and there was just one guy in New Zealand who had one to sell... and the other stuff came from England and New Mexico... all via Ebay because Dell does not sell such parts.

So at the end of the day he spent more money on this Optiplex thing than I on my Desktop...

and the Dell Optiplex is known as a not very powerful machine... whereas my desktop definitly is powerful

Johnsie
August 26th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Most users want to buy a computer that works out of the box, not something that switches on and says "Operating System Not Found"

It's up to Dell what they sell on their machines and if you don't like it you can always buy elsewhere. That would hardly dent Dells profits though.

dmizer
August 26th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I highly suggest voting with your wallet rather than your voice. The more computers Dell sells with Linux preinstalled, the more models they will offer with Linux preinstalled in the future.

Screwdriver0815
August 26th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Most users want to buy a computer that works out of the box, not something that switches on and says "Operating System Not Found"

It's up to Dell what they sell on their machines and if you don't like it you can always buy elsewhere. That would hardly dent Dells profits though.

I fully agree. But the popular saying "buy more Linux at vendor *insert name here*, then they will extend the offers" is not generally right.

Anyway, if you buy a computer, for example at www.one.de (where I bought my desktop) there you can configure your computer and there is a line "windows vista - add if required". So if you want a computer which works out of the box, you order it like that. And pay 80 Euros extra. Thats it.

If you want to have one which says "Operating System Not Found" you just do not tick the checkbox... and save 80 Euros...

its simple, isnt it?

But maybe Dell says "our customers are stupid thats why we have to prepare everything for them"... thats a really special customer service... indeed.

Sealbhach
August 26th, 2009, 12:15 PM
There seems to have been some problems with Ubuntu on the Dell Mini:

Ubuntu 'broken' on Dell Inspiron Mini 10 (http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1530558/ubuntu-broken-dell-inspiron-mini)

Sealbhach
August 26th, 2009, 12:15 PM
I highly suggest voting with your wallet rather than your voice. The more computers Dell sells with Linux preinstalled, the more models they will offer with Linux preinstalled in the future.

It's true. Money talks, not petitions or writing letters.

pt123
August 26th, 2009, 01:02 PM
we don't even have the Ubuntu option on Dell minis in Australia

mikewhatever
August 26th, 2009, 04:44 PM
we don't even have the Ubuntu option on Dell minis in Australia

Same in Israel, but it wouldn't hurt asking for it, or else for a sans' Windows' option, and it's not limited to Dell netbooks.

Screwdriver0815
August 26th, 2009, 04:45 PM
It's true. Money talks, not petitions or writing letters.

exactly. And that's why I would never buy a Dell, neither with Windows or with Linux pre-installed.

I always would buy a computer without operating system at a smaller vendore.

First, I support the smaller vendor (because all the big ones like Dell, HP, Lenovo, Fujitsu Siemens and so on anyway have big deals with all the big companies along with Microsoft) and secondly: I do a decision pro freedom - freedom to choose if I want to have an OS on my new Computer or not. And the freedom WHICH OS I choose.

FreezWay
August 27th, 2009, 02:42 AM
@person with really long name that starts with J: Perfect, could'nt of sed it better myself.

winjeel
August 27th, 2009, 02:54 AM
They used to offer linux on the really cheap dell PCs in Ireland, now they're not even there. I had no choice but to get a vista I'm never going to use.. but as I've already used it to recover grub files 3 times, it's not so bad ;)

I got my laptop in Japan, and the only reason why I chose Dell is because they were the only maker who offered computers with an English OS... and guess which OS (xp). I didn't even know that Dell offered Ubuntu, though I think I hadn't heard of Ubuntu at that time, only Lindows... err... linspire, Redhat, and the other regulars.

cptrohn
August 27th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Dell..

I'm trying to get a Studio Hybrid set up to dual boot right now as we speak... The Ubuntu partition comes off without a hitch (Of Course ;) )

The Vista partition is complete crap.

MikeTheC
August 27th, 2009, 03:46 AM
This thread is full of quality. See?

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/894/qualitymeteranim.gif

mikewhatever
August 27th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Here are the people who love Dell:

warning! fat troll crossing.