PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Time to trade up

gthanson
August 25th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Evening everyone.

I'm back to school in 2 weeks, and I've got a bit of money to spend, so I'm looking at upgrading my desktop for the new school year.

I'm currently running an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+, 2GB DDR400, and a 9800GTX+, on an A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo.

I'm looking at purchasing an Intel i7 920, 6GB DDR3-1600 Corsair memory, motherboard yet to be determined. I'm "a poor university student who need to live within his means" which means (no pun intended) no i7 975, but i feel I'll still get a substantial boost over what I'm running now.

So the questions I have to put forth to the community are as follows: Firstly, can someone recommend a good board to pull this whole setup together on, (preferably Asus, I've had 3 of theirs work flawlessly). And secondly, has anyone had experience with this setup or a similar setup running 9.04? Running any build of linux is a must, but I'd prefer Jaunty.

I'm far from computer illiterate, but not too savy with the latest tech, so don't hold back on any advice you might have to offer :D