PDA

View Full Version : Kubuntu Architecture & Hardware - advice needed

gingermark
February 2nd, 2006, 09:05 PM
Hi there,

Currently running a 800MHz 128MB RAM system, and well, it struggles. It's getting on a bit, so I am looking to build a new one (or more precisely, have a friend help me build a new one).

I don't know a hell of a lot about PC hardware, but i was hoping to get some advice, especially regarding 32-bit vs 64-bit architectures. The AMD 64 chips look reasonable, but I was wondering if folks think it's worth sticking with 32 bit chips at the moment - I'm not much of a gamer, and I've read about some programs not working in Kubuntu for 64 bit - Flash is one that comes to mind.

If I was to stick with 32 bit it looks like I could get a 3GHz Celeron for about half the price of a 3GHz Pentium 4 - is it really worth spending the extra cash?

I was also wondering if there were any motherboard features that folks would consider essential these days - esp numbers of expansion slots for different protocols and ports.

I realise this is very vague, but I'm hoping your own personal experiences will help my place my own needs within the context of the hardware that is available. I want OpenOffice.org2 to run fast, Konqueror to open instantly, and DVDs and other media to play well.

Maybe I don't need top-of-the-range to achieve those things, but I also want something that will last.

Any thoughts on the matter would be most appreciated.

Best regards,
gingermark.

xequence
February 2nd, 2006, 09:11 PM
If I was to stick with 32 bit it looks like I could get a 3GHz Celeron for about half the price of a 3GHz Pentium 4 - is it really worth spending the extra cash?

Dont get a celeron or pentium 4. Intel is bad.

AMD is cheaper, has better 64bit support, and is MUCH faster.

You can get a 64bit sempron for the same price as a 32 bit one, and 64 bit can also do 32bit operating systems.

I think semprons range from 70-130$... Not sure though.

Lord Illidan
February 2nd, 2006, 09:15 PM
I'd advise against Celeron. If you don't want Intel, use AMD.. Infact, AMD works a lot faster than Intel and is cheaper in many cases.

What I would advise is get an AMD 64 bit processor, and install x86 iso for now. You can then just do a simple reinstallation (if you share the /home directory, it gets even easier) when better 64 bit apps come out. That way you are also future proof, and have a fast proc into the bargain.

You might want to consider PCI express for graphics. Future proofing is the reason, too, and speed. I'd advise Nvidia, since they have the best linux drivers atm, though things may change in future.

Lots of ports are always good. Expandibility is a must nowadays.

Oh, and RAM.. lots of RAM is very important for a fast system. And a fast hard disk wouldn't go amiss. Also, a lot of cash. ;)

gingermark
February 2nd, 2006, 09:23 PM
What I would advise is get an AMD 64 bit processor, and install x86 iso for now. You can then just do a simple reinstallation (if you share the /home directory, it gets even easier) when better 64 bit apps come out. That way you are also future proof, and have a fast proc into the bargain.

Thanks so much for that, didn't realise that was possible. As I said, I'm not really up on hardware these days. I have nothing against Intel or AMD, I have to assume each have their strengths and weaknesses.

Thanks for your comments.

poofyhairguy
February 2nd, 2006, 09:35 PM
Thanks so much for that, didn't realise that was possible. As I said, I'm not really up on hardware these days. I have nothing against Intel or AMD, I have to assume each have their strengths and weaknesses.

Yep.

Intel- strength is Pentium M in laptops.

AMD- strength is AMD 64 chips is desktop.

Getting an Intel chip for your desktop in this day and age is like getting a car to tow a huge boat. It might do the job, but its not the best option.

gingermark
February 2nd, 2006, 09:43 PM
So, right now would an AMD (Newcastle) Athlon 64bit 3000+ 512kb L2 Cache 754pin Retail Boxed Processor with Heatsink and Fan Included and 3 Year Warranty for about £90 (which is about US$160 - although the dollar is weak against the pound at the moment, so that might seem steeper than it really is) be a sound purchase to run the x86 version of Kubuntu on?

endersshadow
February 2nd, 2006, 10:05 PM
Yep.

Intel- strength is Pentium M in laptops.

AMD- strength is AMD 64 chips is desktop.

Getting an Intel chip for your desktop in this day and age is like getting a car to tow a huge boat. It might do the job, but its not the best option.

*shudder*

Really? Intel's strength is the M? Man, I can't stand whenever I have to work on a lappy with an M...I guess hooray for battery power. I myself have a desktop replacement lappy with a P4 w/ HTT...I wish I had an AMD 64, though. That would be awesome...

At any rate, my advice to the OP is to get a AMD 64bit if it's in your budget. Even running the 32-bit OS, it'll still fly. My buddy who has one (and I'm very envious of) says that his multitasking runs so smooth...if only...if only...if only I had one, too...