PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Removed XP on gparted, still lost..

KMSMD
August 25th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Hey guys,
I ran the live disk, gparted and deleted windows xp. Now it says in gparted that the part is unallocated and also in my boot list, it still lists XP. Anything I may have done wrong here?

Arand
August 25th, 2009, 01:49 AM
No, gparted will not touch the grub list, although at this point, the grub entry for windows XP will just fail since the partition is gone.

You should be able to update the grub menu (and thus remove the XP entry) by using the command
sudo update-grub- Arand

KMSMD
August 25th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Cool, is there anything I can do with the "unallocated" part now?

tuxxy
August 25th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Cool, is there anything I can do with the "unallocated" part now?

Indeed you could now expand the size of your Ubuntu partition with this new free space, or save it for other distros you may like to test in future.

KMSMD
August 25th, 2009, 01:58 AM
I have gparted up now, and I can't move anything like a "click n drag" to put the unallocated for Ubuntu.

tuxxy
August 25th, 2009, 01:59 AM
I have gparted up now, and I can't move anything like a "click n drag" to put the unallocated for Ubuntu.

Heres a good explanation of how to resize a partition - http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/resize/resizing.htm

KMSMD
August 25th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Only thing it would let me do is copy and paste one of the "linux-swap" ones, so lets see where that goes lol. Thanks for the help.