PDA

View Full Version : Register for Quake Live!

Bölvağur
August 18th, 2009, 11:03 PM
I know very well that this is an improper subforum for this thread, but as much more people (which might be interested) read this forum I wanted to let you all know that the linux client is available

http://www.quakelive.com/

if you really dont want this thread in her there are few quake live threads in the gaming forum

RPG Master
August 19th, 2009, 01:24 AM
FINALLY!!! :D

I am so happy :)

PREPARE TO DIE! :twisted:

Bölvağur
August 19th, 2009, 03:05 AM
add me if you want, my nick is gummi

days_of_ruin
August 19th, 2009, 05:07 AM
add me if you want, my nick is gummi

When I search I don't see "gummi", is your nick "Gummi"?

darco
August 19th, 2009, 06:07 AM
cool...looks fun...how do you get a full screen? I opened my browser to full screen but the game screen is only about a quarter of the screen,,,,
thanks

darco

CharmyBee
August 19th, 2009, 06:10 AM
I would play this, but I already own Quake III Arena and Team Arena (and my Q3A folder is 6gb in size from all the custom stuff)

symon1980
August 19th, 2009, 06:34 AM
WOOOOHOOOOOOOOO! Great news For Linux Gamers! I been waiting for Quake live
to support linux for a few months. See you in the Arena!!!

kaddy.

wolfe
August 19th, 2009, 06:50 AM
is it just me, or does it not like shiretoko?

3rdalbum
August 19th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Ooooo yeah, time to frag some Micro$loth ******* fanbois! :-P

There's something to be said for most Linux games being deathmatch FPSes. :-)

Nburnes
August 19th, 2009, 07:20 AM
w00t this is awesome news!

doorknob60
August 19th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Yeah add me, my name on QL is doorknob60. I posted the thread about this in Gaming, but didn't think it would be a good idea to post it here, een though I wanted to :P Oh well whatever. And about Shiretoko:

You may use Shiretoko too, just go to about:config and change general.useragent.extra.firefox to Firefox/3.5.2
Everything works fine

There might be some helpful info if you're having problems here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1240457

darthmob
August 19th, 2009, 08:12 AM
cool...looks fun...how do you get a full screen? I opened my browser to full screen but the game screen is only about a quarter of the screen,,,,Try alt+enter or set it to fullscreen in the game settings.

A lot of questions are dealt with in the holysh1t beginner guides (http://www.holysh1t.net/quake-live-beginner-guides/)!

bodyharvester
August 19th, 2009, 11:12 AM
this is indeed good news

EDIT: damn, someone already has my name, so ill be bodyharvesterUF, i only play for fun :)

aeiah
August 19th, 2009, 12:11 PM
great news. i got quite into this on windows for a month or so but then i got an xbox and have been playing halo 3 instead. still, might as well give it a go. my QL name is the same as my screenname here (as is my xbox live name for that matter)

Sand & Mercury
August 19th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Yeah add me, my name on QL is doorknob60. I posted the thread about this in Gaming, but didn't think it would be a good idea to post it here, een though I wanted to :P Oh well whatever. And about Shiretoko:

There might be some helpful info if you're having problems here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1240457
Thanks for that!

Gave it a go now, works well. Passed the qualifying round, got bored and quit. :P

JillSwift
August 19th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Why do they call it "Quake Live" when I spend an inordinate time dead? Shouldn't it be called "Quake: Dead in your Browser" or "Quake: Bring a Book" or something? ;)

Starlight
August 19th, 2009, 05:05 PM
I've started playing it and it's a lot of fun :D But sound is stuttering a lot, and it's rather annoying. :(

update: closing Pulseaudio made it better :) still not perfect, though

update 2: actually no, it didn't

update 3: closing Pulseaudio didn't fix it, but removing Pulseaudio did.

sydbat
August 19th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Just signing up. Using same nickname as here (sydbat).

bodyharvester
August 19th, 2009, 05:18 PM
i think someone should start a thread where everyone can post their QL nicknames

sydbat
August 19th, 2009, 05:21 PM
It keeps crashing FF. Anyone else have this problem?

Starlight
August 19th, 2009, 05:42 PM
i think someone should start a thread where everyone can post their QL nicknames

Good idea, mine is Meepish :)

It keeps crashing FF. Anyone else have this problem?

Mine crashes when I end the game. Fortunately, it never crashed in the middle of the game here.

sydbat
August 19th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Good idea, mine is Meepish :)

Mine crashes when I end the game. Fortunately, it never crashed in the middle of the game here.Finally stopped crashing and now I have completed the training (lots of me being dead).

Also, went through this thread and added everyone as 'friends'...although could not find the OP.

EDIT - there you are ...gummi...

dragos240
August 19th, 2009, 06:01 PM
This will be fun :D. Watch out!

TuckLive
August 19th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Add me if you want guys, the nick is TuckLive. I haven't had any issues except I don't have any sound at all.

baizon
August 19th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the info :D
...registering right now.

Eviltechie
August 19th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Feel free to add me as a friend. (Eviltechie)

Chame_Wizard
August 19th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Quake 2 is still the best.:lolflag:

wingnux
August 19th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Sound doesn't work on OSSv4 :(

days_of_ruin
August 19th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Why do they call it "Quake Live" when I spend an inordinate time dead? Shouldn't it be called "Quake: Dead in your Browser" or "Quake: Bring a Book" or something? ;)

Sounds like you were playing Duel. Play a different mode.

btw my nick is "pynt".

Raffles10
August 19th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Works great in Firefox 3.0.13, superfast too. Playing as 'ubunut'...I'm the one everybody else keeps killing.

days_of_ruin
August 19th, 2009, 09:04 PM
It crashes unless I play it fullscreen, but why play any other way anyway?

darthmob
August 19th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Why do they call it "Quake Live" when I spend an inordinate time dead? Shouldn't it be called "Quake: Dead in your Browser" or "Quake: Bring a Book" or something? ;)I wonder how many people stick after the first few games. Quake is unforgiving for newcomers and the skill system can only do so much.

Getting at least 3 times as many deaths as frags is quite normal at the beginning.

mehaga
August 19th, 2009, 09:15 PM
How about Ubuntu QuakeLive clan? :)

BackwardsDown
August 19th, 2009, 09:46 PM
I've added everyone as a friend and my own name is pinguis :)

Had this account since the day they launched, but today was the first time I could actually play haha :P

Raffles10
August 19th, 2009, 10:35 PM
The skill system would work better if players weren't able to join games meant for players with less ability than theirs. I've joined games based on my skill level only to find some players much better than everybody else running around shooting everything in sight. :confused:

MaxIBoy
August 19th, 2009, 10:47 PM
I already own Quake 3, but more people will probably be online playing this thing instead. So I guess I'll sign up.

MaxIBoy
August 19th, 2009, 11:16 PM
This is insane. The resolution is so small it only fills a tiny part of my screen. And the framerate is about 10 fps, whereas on 1440*900 with the original Q3 game content, ioQ3 never goes under 100 on my system, usually it's above 200.

This is supposedly based on the original quake 3 engine with "just a few touchups here and there." How they managed to coax such a low framerate out of such a terrific engine is really beyond me. It must have taken a dedicated and talented idiot many months of hard work in order to pull it off.

EDIT: System specs:
Phenom X4 9550
4 gigs DDR2-1066 RAM
Radeon HD 4850 w/ dual-slot cooler

This system should be quite capable of handling the game.

Edit This is due to the fact that I use OSS4 instead of ALSA, and that the ALSA emulation layer is good for music but not for games. However, OSS4 functionality is in the works. And with sound disabled, the game flies on my machine!

I have to say, this game has a number of advantages versus the original Q3. I think it's worth having both.

bodyharvester
August 19th, 2009, 11:23 PM
The skill system would work better if players weren't able to join games meant for players with less ability than theirs. I've joined games based on my skill level only to find some players much better than everybody else running around shooting everything in sight. :confused:

same here, i had a match where i was lucky to get a few kills, but thankfully the guys i was playing with weren't obnoxious

days_of_ruin
August 19th, 2009, 11:54 PM
This is insane. The resolution is so small it only fills a tiny part of my screen. And the framerate is about 10 fps, whereas on 1440*900 with the original Q3 game content, ioQ3 never goes under 100 on my system, usually it's above 200.

This is supposedly based on the original quake 3 engine with "just a few touchups here and there." How they managed to coax such a low framerate out of such a terrific engine is really beyond me. It must have taken a dedicated and talented idiot many months of hard work in order to pull it off.

Phenom X4 9550
4 gigs DDR2-1066 RAM

Are you playing full screen?

MaxIBoy
August 20th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Are you playing full screen?
Tried both with and without. First I tried the default settings (non-fullscreen, 640*480.) Then I tried fullscreen at native resolution (1440*900.)

I started a bug report thread here (http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32086).

Frak
August 20th, 2009, 12:16 AM
I would try it, but meh, id could have done SO MUCH BETTER. There are so many, quote unquote, "noobs" that get stacked up against seasoned players. Why didn't they at least try to pair them up together?

darco
August 20th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Ok...made some MAJOR adjustments and the game looks great, full screen at 1680x1050...now those NVIDIA Drivers have finally paid off!

darco

pwnst*r
August 20th, 2009, 05:21 AM

Phenom X4 9550
4 gigs DDR2-1066 RAM

not a bug in the game as i get 125 capped in both windows and ubuntu. it's on your end.

Perfect Storm
August 20th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Also check: Ubuntu Game Night – Quake Live – Sunday August 23th (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1242097) for some fun ;)

Excedio
August 20th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Is anyone else getting stuck here? What gives? I installed this plug-in 3 times...

I wanna kill people :cry:

Ramses
August 20th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Is anyone else getting stuck here? What gives? I installed this plug-in 3 times...

I wanna kill people

There should yellow bar at top of browser window to confirm installation.

3rdalbum
August 20th, 2009, 09:41 AM
For anyone who's wondering, as I was: It downloads almost exactly 300 megabytes of game files. To check their progress, you can just look at Properties on ~/.quakelive.

This morning I couldn't find a single Australian player on Quake Live. I hung around in a game for a few minutes and nobody joined. I'm a little disappointed, though I guess I could always play The Conduit again (although that game always pits me against experienced players and I get my butt kicked)

Phreaker
August 20th, 2009, 11:10 AM
On my linux box Quake Live runs great
I am using pure alsa

pwnst*r
August 20th, 2009, 12:48 PM
For anyone who's wondering, as I was: It downloads almost exactly 300 megabytes of game files. To check their progress, you can just look at Properties on ~/.quakelive.

This morning I couldn't find a single Australian player on Quake Live. I hung around in a game for a few minutes and nobody joined. I'm a little disappointed, though I guess I could always play The Conduit again (although that game always pits me against experienced players and I get my butt kicked)

id has had some problems with the oz servers lately, so that may be why. be patient as this game is still beta so that trickles down.

Excedio
August 20th, 2009, 01:15 PM
There should yellow bar at top of browser window to confirm installation.

As you can see, I do have this plug-in installed. It just wont go past this page...

pwnst*r
August 20th, 2009, 01:23 PM
take a look at the Quake Live technical forums (stay away from GD)

also, there's a "thank you id" thread if anybody cares to say "cheers" for the port

http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32152

pwnst*r
August 20th, 2009, 02:07 PM
some in-game shots of mine:

aaaantoine
August 20th, 2009, 03:26 PM
some in-game shots of mine:

Looks fisheyed. Do you have the pov set high or is that default?

bodyharvester
August 20th, 2009, 03:26 PM
take a look at the Quake Live technical forums (stay away from GD)

also, there's a "thank you id" thread if anybody cares to say "cheers" for the port

you have to register to post and when i try to register it says admin has disabled that option

pwnst*r
August 20th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Looks fisheyed. Do you have the pov set high or is that default?

highest it'll go, 130.

pwnst*r
August 20th, 2009, 03:35 PM
you have to register to post and when i try to register it says admin has disabled that option

you don't need to register if you already have a quake ID account.

bodyharvester
August 20th, 2009, 03:36 PM
you don't need to register if you already have a quake ID account.

oh, right, thanks :oops:

Ramses
August 20th, 2009, 04:15 PM
As you can see, I do have this plug-in installed. It just wont go past this page...

I think Firefox is preventing Quakelive installation even if plugin is installed. See image.
Maybe remove and install it again.

pwnst*r
August 20th, 2009, 04:44 PM
oh, right, thanks :oops:

:)

Excedio
August 20th, 2009, 06:16 PM
I think Firefox is preventing Quakelive installation even if plugin is installed. See image.
Maybe remove and install it again.

Right, but...if you look on the right, you will see the Button that says "Allow" and then it downloads the plugin.

Excedio
August 20th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Don't know if anyone else if having my problem but appearantly this is the resolution...

*Problem Solved*
Turns out i was missing the libXxf86dga.so Library file.

Solution:
Install getlibs (apt-get install getlibs)
Then Install the Library (getlibs libXxf86dga.so)

Hope this helps!

http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31810&highlight=firefox

I'm going to give this a try tonight when I get home from work.

moster
August 20th, 2009, 06:38 PM
If stuck at downloading at any point or do not downloading at all, just logout and login again.

GMU_DodgyHodgy
August 20th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Oh the wife is not going to like this! :P

Starlight
August 20th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Oh the wife is not going to like this! :P

You should convince her to play it too :)

moster
August 21st, 2009, 08:00 PM
You should convince her to play it too :)

Who will then do dirty work in the house? ;) Think, think.. :D

lnxr0x
August 22nd, 2009, 03:37 AM
I've added others .. feel free to add me, lnxr0x
I suck much more than I remember !!:P

pwnst*r
August 24th, 2009, 04:44 AM
bump

days_of_ruin
August 24th, 2009, 04:56 AM
The Worst Kept Secret:

pwnst*r
August 24th, 2009, 05:01 AM
more awesomeness

days_of_ruin
August 24th, 2009, 05:21 AM
I will never understand why some people like the fov that high.

pwnst*r
August 24th, 2009, 06:19 AM
back on q3 it was 125. i'm just used to playing that way and with a 24" monitor i bumped it to 130.

pwnst*r
August 24th, 2009, 02:23 PM
moar

JillSwift
August 24th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I will never understand why some people like the fov that high.
Next best thing to peripheral vision.

basotl
August 24th, 2009, 10:12 PM
I've been liking the game so far. I have put in requests to add most of you as friends. My nick is basotl on there.

Anyone know of any Linux or Ubuntu clans out there? I heard some talk of a tux clan on the Quake forums but haven't seen anything come of this.

MaxIBoy
August 24th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Doesn't matter if you particularly use it, just register. Otherwise ID software won't make "Rage" available on Linux!
http://linux.slashdot.org/story/09/08/24/0059218/Linux-Port-For-ids-Tech-5-Graphics-Engine-Unlikely

Come on guys, it's not that hard. Make yourselves heard!

pwnst*r
August 25th, 2009, 12:24 AM
especially those that cry for more games on linux. do it now.

p.s. you should be playing Quake Live anyway if you're a fan of FPS or not. fact.

bodyharvester
August 25th, 2009, 12:33 AM
a lot of people should already play it, i do, i cant even remember where i heard of it so getting the word out is important

gali98
August 25th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Started playing a few days ago.. It is quite fun.. From an Urban Terror user...
Kory

red_Marvin
August 25th, 2009, 12:52 AM
I would play if I could get it to work with oss, I have alsa emulation enabled, and tried various tricks that google turned up (seta s_mixahead and such) but there is severe lag in the sound still. :(

madjr
August 25th, 2009, 01:05 AM
the weird thing is 5 years ago linux had a lot less users/gamers and was not aimed at avg. joes (was lots harder to use)

today linux is bigger, better, easier with many more users, but we get less 'big' commercial games?

maybe this is due to consoles, recession and msft's dominance over much of the console/pc gaming market?

linux will keep growing, so i guess indie/cloud/open source game devs will keep taking advantage of the lowered competition of big companies on the platform

ps. already fraggin on QL
playing a 3d game on my browser never been more fun. If this's the vision that ID, google and others have of how we'll play games on the cloud, it looks good.

pwnst*r
August 25th, 2009, 02:16 AM
basotl, added!

also, show id your love!

yabbadabbadont
August 25th, 2009, 03:01 AM
The FAQ states that it needs XP or Vista and is basically an ActiveX control... Since I _only_ use Linux, no soup for me.

(I don't think that my graphics card could handle it anyway...)

pwnst*r
August 25th, 2009, 03:04 AM
The FAQ states that it needs XP or Vista and is basically an ActiveX control... Since I _only_ use Linux, no soup for me.

(I don't think that my graphics card could handle it anyway...)

FAQ not updated then. there's a ton of linux people playing roit nao

yabbadabbadont
August 25th, 2009, 03:16 AM
FAQ not updated then. there's a ton of linux people playing roit nao

Ahhh, I see that they list Linux at the bottom of the front page. I just jumped to the FAQ to see what was required... too bad my system just can't handle it. Just the front page shot my CPU up to a constant 98% usage. :lol:

pwnst*r
August 25th, 2009, 03:18 AM
embedded? gfx cards that will handle q3 are dirt cheap. do yourself a favor :D

Xpander69
August 25th, 2009, 07:18 PM
also registered and played a little.

and i hope we can see Rage released for linux...really looking forward to this.

Ric_NYC
August 25th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Registered user.

Rage... "Bring it on!"

pwnst*r
August 25th, 2009, 07:24 PM
you guys do know Rage won't be free, right

Ric_NYC
August 25th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Also available for Linux.

World of Padman

Take a look at the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPx-ET38AKw

:popcorn:

bekind2thenoob
August 25th, 2009, 07:35 PM
p.s. you should be playing Quake Live anyway if you're a fan of FPS or not. fact.

lol amen :guitar:

Playing casually for about a week as zigzagwanderer.

basotl
August 25th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Registered the day it was released for Linux.

Bölvağur
August 25th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Also available for Linux.

World of Padman

Warsow is better, even though WoP looks fun, warsow will always dominate ;)

basotl
August 25th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Ahhh, I see that they list Linux at the bottom of the front page. I just jumped to the FAQ to see what was required... too bad my system just can't handle it. Just the front page shot my CPU up to a constant 98% usage. :lol:

What are your system specs?

whoop
August 26th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Other than the crackling audio it works very good for the first linux client release... Much better than the first windows release (although it's obviously not a fair comparison).

days_of_ruin
August 26th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Crap, it's their weekly update, I NEED MY QUAKESZ!

basotl
August 26th, 2009, 01:47 AM
Other than the crackling audio it works very good for the first linux client release... Much better than the first windows release (although it's obviously not a fair comparison).

The fix in this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1246766

Seems to work for people.

zmjjmz
August 26th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Playing now, but with this connection out here it's kinda slow to load.
Other than that, FPS is relatively ok. It's not 200, but it is around 35 or so so it's playable (Dell Mini 9).
I'm zmjjmz on QL btw.

pwnst*r
August 26th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Playing now, but with this connection out here it's kinda slow to load.
Other than that, FPS is relatively ok. It's not 200, but it is around 35 or so so it's playable (Dell Mini 9).
I'm zmjjmz on QL btw.

it'll never be 200 cuz it's capped at 125.

Sand & Mercury
August 26th, 2009, 09:09 AM
The Worst Kept Secret:
What happened to the dopefish? :(

ssam
August 26th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Sound doesn't work on OSSv4 :(

you should try ALSA and PA :-)

bgiannes
August 27th, 2009, 12:41 AM
WOW just saw Quake Live for linux.... sweet!

i stopped playing about 5yr ago, when i stopped using windows at home. I must really suck now.... i'll find out how much tonight. :lolflag:

bgiannes
August 27th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Quake Live

well, everything works for me. i'd like higher res, but that's okay. :)

the frame rate is good, just need to work on my skills :P

pwnst*r
August 27th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Quake Live

well, everything works for me. i'd like higher res, but that's okay. :)

the frame rate is good, just need to work on my skills :P

the resolution is only limited in windowed mode. i'm utilizing 1920x1200 fullscreen - options are in the menu.

as far as frames per second, it's capped at 125 and i'm pegged at that so any significant drops are of course system bottlenecks.

basotl
August 29th, 2009, 04:31 AM
the resolution is only limited in windowed mode. i'm utilizing 1920x1200 fullscreen - options are in the menu.

as far as frames per second, it's capped at 125 and i'm pegged at that so any significant drops are of course system bottlenecks.

I play at 1440 X 900 @ 125 FPS. So it's good enough for me.

MaxIBoy
August 29th, 2009, 06:11 AM
I hope they can get their OSS functionality in shape soon, then I'll be able to play with sound.

Bummer that it's capped at 125 FPS, my system is easily capable of more.

lol amen :guitar:

Playing casually for about a week as zigzagwanderer.
Beefheart rocks! (Just had to say that.)

pwnst*r
August 29th, 2009, 06:20 AM
I hope they can get their OSS functionality in shape soon, then I'll be able to play with sound.

Bummer that it's capped at 125 FPS, my system is easily capable of more.

so is mine, but it would make no difference.

bgiannes
September 9th, 2009, 04:06 PM
so is mine, but it would make no difference.

how can i turn on fps display?

pwnst*r
September 9th, 2009, 04:45 PM
http://www.showmyfps.com/games/quakelive

bgiannes
September 10th, 2009, 06:02 PM
well, even with all detail and everything turned on i get 125fps, i think QL max out at 125fps. That's okay with me.

my res is 1024x1600 40" LCD HDTV, i really can't set it higher as i can't read the text from the couch :)