sandyd
August 24th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Someone stealing your wifi?
try this
http://digg.com/security/Classic_Neighbor_stealing_your_wifi_Time_for_some_ fun
:guitar:

xpod
August 25th, 2009, 12:12 AM
It`s been posted that (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=490049) many times that they even made a Howto (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Upside-Down-TernetHowTo) on the subject.;)

y6FgBn)~v
August 25th, 2009, 12:12 AM
KittenWar is so cute lol

JDShu
August 25th, 2009, 06:05 AM
This thread prompted me to check out my router log... turned out there were two people using it.. explains my slow speeds once in a while :(

Metallion
August 25th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Good old wifi stealers and the encryptions against it again... It's so much easier to just configure the router to accept only the mac addresses of your computers. Usually you only have a few devices that use it anyway.

pwnst*r
August 25th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Good old wifi stealers and the encryptions against it again... It's so much easier to just configure the router to accept only the mac addresses of your computers. Usually you only have a few devices that use it anyway.

it's just as easy to spoof said addresses

jespdj
August 25th, 2009, 03:15 PM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/1337_part_1.png

http://xkcd.com/341/
(also see parts 2 to 5 of the comic)

pwnst*r
August 25th, 2009, 04:03 PM
lol

speedwell68
August 25th, 2009, 04:17 PM
This thread prompted me to check out my router log... turned out there were two people using it.. explains my slow speeds once in a while :(

Well lock the bloody thing.

In the UK it is an offence to connect using Wifi belonging to someone else. Personally I think it should also be an offence to operate a wireless network without encryption.

bodhi.zazen
August 25th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Personally I think we should have a more public wifi system rather then all these individual "private" access points.

I also think you should simply open your wireless to all and firewall your machines. Assume your wireless LAN is insecure and you will be fine.

If you do not like these things, don't use wireless. It just goes with the territory, if you broadcast your network traffic for all to hear you can not really expect privacy.

If it bothers your, monitor your router and secure it as much as possible.

Tristam Green
August 25th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Personally I think we should have a more public wifi system rather then all these individual "private" access points.

I also think you should simply open your wireless to all and firewall your machines. Assume your wireless LAN is insecure and you will be fine.

If you do not like these things, don't use wireless. It just goes with the territory, if you broadcast your network traffic for all to hear you can not really expect privacy.

Ding ding ding, winner! Logic = 100% completion + bonus

speedwell68
August 25th, 2009, 07:17 PM

You are joking aren't you. In a perfect world then that would be a fantastic idea, but we don't live in a perfect world. Leaving every wireless lan in the world open to all would give pedophiles and other such undesirables free reign to do whatever they wish. My next issue with this idea is why should I leave my wireless open to all? I have paid for my internet connection, if the world did as you suggest then only a few people in a given area would pay an ISP for internet access and the ISPs would rapidly go bust or we would end up paying a lot more for internet access.

JDShu
August 25th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Well lock the bloody thing.

In the UK it is an offence to connect using Wifi belonging to someone else. Personally I think it should also be an offence to operate a wireless network without encryption.

Its WPA2 encrypted, I was under the impression that it was the safest I could get, thats why I never checked it before.

LowSky
August 25th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Its WPA2 encrypted, I was under the impression that it was the safest I could get, thats why I never checked it before.

There is an old saying that goes like so. "Locks keep out only the honest."

If someone wants to break router's encryption then its effectively the same as breaking into your house and using your telephone. and if someone really wants something they will get it.

And saying that everyone should have encrypted wireless is wrong. its like saying leaving you car unlocked its a crime. people shouldn't assume they will be robbed.

blur xc
August 25th, 2009, 09:13 PM
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2008/01/my_open_wireles.html

BM

Screwdriver0815
August 25th, 2009, 09:25 PM

in Germany you can go to jail, when someone uses your open wifi and loads illegal copies of films and music via torrent and so on, or maybe terrorists use it for E-mailing home... Thats why everything is locked over here and just dumb people leave their routers open.

Metallion
August 25th, 2009, 09:47 PM
it's just as easy to spoof said addresses

But then wouldn't you need to know one of the exact MAC addresses the person uses? How would you find out those?

pwnst*r
August 25th, 2009, 10:12 PM
sniff sniff

Frak
August 25th, 2009, 10:14 PM
But then wouldn't you need to know one of the exact MAC addresses the person uses? How would you find out those?
You swipe a packet out of the air and check the MAC address.

Xbehave
August 25th, 2009, 11:40 PM
If somebody is messing with your stolen internet, try this (http://airpwn.sourceforge.net/Airpwn.html), its also an way of messing with a wifi theif if you have a dumb router

pwnst*r
August 25th, 2009, 11:41 PM
messing with your stolen internet? what?

Metallion
August 26th, 2009, 12:02 AM
If somebody is messing with your stolen internet, try this (http://airpwn.sourceforge.net/Airpwn.html), its also an way of messing with a wifi theif if you have a dumb router

That's hilarious! It would be so funny to do that to my neighbour. :)

Luca_turicci
August 26th, 2009, 09:43 AM
If someone wants to break router's encryption then its effectively the same as breaking into your house and using your telephone. and if someone really wants something they will get it.

I remember when i spend 4 or 5 days searching how to steal the wifi signals around my work place. the fact of having no wireless of my own at my work forced me to do that... I searched a lot, and learned a lot, too, and in the end, i used the signal for about 3 or 4 days untill i bought ethernet cable. but yeah, when you really want something and your heart is pure...

calrogman
August 26th, 2009, 10:07 AM

sudo airmon-ng start wlan0 $CHANNEL
sudo airodump-ng -c $CHANNEL mon0
sudo ifconfig hw ether $MAC

It's not hard.

Metallion
August 26th, 2009, 10:21 AM
sudo airmon-ng start wlan0 $CHANNEL
sudo airodump-ng -c $CHANNEL mon0
sudo ifconfig hw ether $MAC

It's not hard.

Point taken.

bodyharvester
August 26th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I am a terrible offender in the great topic shifts of the interwebs, and I feel just as justified in taking up topic space as you do in taking up unshielded wifi bandwidth ;)

haha, i had to read that a few times to get what you were saying:lolflag:

i got my laptop from Vodafone (cellular network/manufacturer) with a price plan of £30 each month with use of their broadband service of up to 7MB's, HOWEVER, they only let you surf 3GB allowance each month, for example, if i downloaded 2.5GB at the first of the month in illegal music or whatever, id be left with 500MB left for the rest of the month, if i go over that 3GB i get charged £15, even if i go over by 1MB, so i get free net where i can get it, im like a scavenger, i hope thats made my situation clear, i once had to pay them over £50 one month

scottuss
August 26th, 2009, 02:22 PM

It's highly unlikely that someone cracked WPA2. Are you sure you checked the logs correctly?

P.S Before someone jumps in with "its possible etc etc" please don't. I understand the possibilities, I simply said it was highly unlikely.

K.Mandla
August 26th, 2009, 03:06 PM
You are joking aren't you. In a perfect world then that would be a fantastic idea, but we don't live in a perfect world. Leaving every wireless lan in the world open to all would give pedophiles and other such undesirables free reign to do whatever they wish. My next issue with this idea is why should I leave my wireless open to all? I have paid for my internet connection, if the world did as you suggest then only a few people in a given area would pay an ISP for internet access and the ISPs would rapidly go bust or we would end up paying a lot more for internet access.
Mine is open.

bodyharvester
August 26th, 2009, 03:34 PM
i just had a cup of tea, anyone else see how awesome Duke Nukem Forever gameplay looked on youtube? Megadeth did the theme well.

still on someones weefee :p

dmizer
August 26th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I weeded this topic of offtopic stuff. Some legitimate content was removed in the process. For that I'm sorry. If I've missed something, please do not quote or reply to it, just use the report post feature so a member of the staff can remove it.

Keep it on topic people.

Thank you.

Skripka
August 26th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Mine is open.

I just run a MAC whitelist. Simple and easy. Encryption with linux, WinXP, Win Vista, different brands of wireless hardware, diff drivers, etc is too much of a PITA.

Besides-anyone who is out to crack your wireless is going to. Your odds of having someone in range with the smarts to crack even simple measures (i.e. MAC whitelisting) are usually quite small...99.99% of the time those bandwidth thieves are the normal bottom-of-the-barrel computer users who only have the most rudimentary computer knowledge.

bodyharvester
August 26th, 2009, 05:50 PM
99.99% of the time those bandwidth thieves are the normal bottom-of-the-barrel computer users who only have the most rudimentary computer knowledge.

thats me! xD

Stan_1936
August 26th, 2009, 05:51 PM
^^^^Haha! HAhahahahahaha.........

zakany
August 26th, 2009, 06:22 PM
From my POV, it's the people who run open routers that are the problem. My daughter was using one of our neighbors' wireless to bypass my URL blacklist.

As unobtrusively as I could, I enabled their MAC blacklist and put my daughter's machine on it. Given that everything was still set to factory defaults on their router, they'll never know.

pwnst*r
August 26th, 2009, 06:26 PM
From my POV, it's the people who run open routers that are the problem. My daughter was using one of our neighbors' wireless to bypass my URL blacklist.

As unobtrusively as I could, I enabled their MAC blacklist and put my daughter's machine on it. Given that everything was still set to factory defaults on their router, they'll never know.

LOL, nice!

HappinessNow
August 26th, 2009, 06:28 PM
It`s been posted that (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=490049) many times that they even made a Howto (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Upside-Down-TernetHowTo) on the subject.;)Nice call but it appears that (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=490049) has been locked. :P

RiceMonster
August 26th, 2009, 06:35 PM
I just run a MAC whitelist. Simple and easy. Encryption with linux, WinXP, Win Vista, different brands of wireless hardware, diff drivers, etc is too much of a PITA.

Besides-anyone who is out to crack your wireless is going to. Your odds of having someone in range with the smarts to crack even simple measures (i.e. MAC whitelisting) are usually quite small...99.99% of the time those bandwidth thieves are the normal bottom-of-the-barrel computer users who only have the most rudimentary computer knowledge.

Well I use WPA2 rather than a whitelist so people can bring their laptops and I just have to tell them the password. But yeah, it's like you said, obviously it's crackable, but I don't use it for full security, I use it to keep the average bandwidth thief out. My neighbour's is wide open, so they'll just go to them instead.

Yeah, on my neighbour's wide open network, I logged on to see if I could get in. Account admin, pass admin and I'm in. I was tempted to add a WEP or WPA pass to see if they could figure out how to put it back, but I'm not that much of a jerk.

xpod
August 26th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Nice call but it appears that (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=490049) has been locked. :P

It is now it would seem.

Awesome post found on this post:

All your fault it would appear too.:P

Skripka
August 26th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Yeah, on my neighbour's wide open network, I logged on to see if I could get in. Account admin, pass admin and I'm in. I was tempted to add a WEP or WPA pass to see if they could figure out how to put it back, but I'm not that much of a jerk.

Back when I was young and reckless and at boarding school, they had just put a completely non-firewalled network in the dorms.

I went looking in the Windows printer directory...and sent 100pt font documents to each printer I could access in my hallway to saying "If you can read this message, you might want to turn off your printer sharing, signed *******". I got a whole crowd of hallmates asking "HTF did you do that!!!???"

bodhi.zazen
August 26th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I weeded this topic of offtopic stuff. Some legitimate content was removed in the process. For that I'm sorry. If I've missed something, please do not quote or reply to it, just use the report post feature so a member of the staff can remove it.

Keep it on topic people.

Thank you.

no, no, thank you =)

HappinessNow
August 26th, 2009, 07:12 PM
It is now it would seem.

All your fault it would appear too.:P...or yours :P (I would have never known about it if you didn't post a link.):lolflag: