PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't Update

Wydo
August 24th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Hi, I had some trouble installing so I downloaded a new ISO file and burned to a boot disk. I finally took a small hard drive and set it up to be my only drive for the install and it went OK and I could boot from it.
After booting up I find I cannot run update manager and I get this error.

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.

E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

I don’t know anything about linux so any help would be appriciated.

I also need a driver for my onboard sound witch is Realtek 7.1 on my Abit AB9 Pro motherboard.

Thank you

Partyboi2
August 24th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Hi, do what is recommended, open a terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) and type

sudo dpkg --configure -a
Hopefully this will fix the problem, if not post the output to the above command.

philcamlin
August 24th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Hi, open a terminal (Applications>Accessoires>Terminal) and type

sudo dpkg --configure -a

+1 that will correct the install error

raymondh
August 24th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Hi, I had some trouble installing so I downloaded a new ISO file and burned to a boot disk. I finally took a small hard drive and set it up to be my only drive for the install and it went OK and I could boot from it.
After booting up I find I cannot run update manager and I get this error.

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.

E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

I don’t know anything about linux so any help would be appriciated.

I also need a driver for my onboard sound witch is Realtek 7.1 on my Abit AB9 Pro motherboard.

Thank you

As the error message says ... dpkg was interrupted. Open a terminal (applications > accessories) and type (or copy and paste the command) :

sudo dpkg --configure -a

You will be prompted for your password which, when you type, will be invisible.

Let's go from there. Post back if you encounter more errors.

Wydo
August 25th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Hi,
On boot up I notice that if you hit Esc button just before Ubuntu loads you go into a menu that allows you to do a repair. I did that and it booted with it working and all the updates and I can now add software now too. Yeah!

Still no sound yet. Don't know what realtek chip I have because of the heat sinks on the motherboard.

My keyboard and mouse freeze at times too.

thanks