PDA

View Full Version : best distro for old laptop

terry_gardener
August 24th, 2009, 06:27 PM
i might be installing linux on a old laptop shortly and would like to know which is the best to install.

system specs that i know of.

p3 700mhz
384mb ram
dont know which sound and video chipsets it has because it is not my laptop.

it will be mainly used for internet (facebook and other normal serving), music.

the distro has to be easy to use as they have never used linux before, and it needs to be able to run reasonably well, and hopefully debian based as i have only really used ubuntu.

what would your suggestions be.

Warpnow
August 24th, 2009, 06:44 PM
install a commandline ubuntu and then type

sudo apt-get install lxde wicd

I've used ubuntu + LXDE on a pentium 2 and it was quite snappy. IceWM is also a good option.

Greg
August 24th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Or instead of a commandline Ubuntu to LXDE, there's the new Masonux.

Personally, I'd run Arch or Crux or Gentoo. Slitaz and TinyCore would also be good choices.

snowpine
August 24th, 2009, 06:53 PM
AntiX is arguably the fastest "out of the box" Debian-based distro. I am also a big fan of CrunchBang. Either of those would "just work" with lots of applications and codecs pre-installed.

If you want to do a minimal install for your friend, use Debian or Ubuntu, it doesn't really matter if you're doing a lightweight windows manager sort of thing. Either Ubuntu+LXDE or Debian+LXDE would be fine with those specs.

Those would be my suggestions if you want to stay under the Debian umbrella.

HappinessNow
August 24th, 2009, 07:54 PM
i might be installing linux on a old laptop shortly and would like to know which is the best to install.

system specs that i know of.

p3 700mhz
384mb ram
dont know which sound and video chipsets it has because it is not my laptop.

it will be mainly used for internet (facebook and other normal serving), music.

the distro has to be easy to use as they have never used linux before, and it needs to be able to run reasonably well, and hopefully debian based as i have only really used ubuntu.

what would your suggestions be.Macpup Opera or other Puppy variety.

Gen2ly
August 24th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Crunchbang Linux

Hogosha
August 24th, 2009, 09:10 PM
wouldn't this be the definition of a machine ready for Xubuntu?

celthunder
August 24th, 2009, 09:10 PM
I'd suggest arch if you were willing to move outside of the debian based distros, within ubuntu distro's maybe xubuntu XFCE doesn't take much to run.

snowpine
August 24th, 2009, 09:17 PM
wouldn't this be the definition of a machine ready for Xubuntu?

Only if you think Xubuntu is the "best distro for old laptop." ;)

I personally find it not that fast compared with other Xfce distros (Debian, Sidux, Arch, etc).

Interesting comparison: http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090427#feature

I would absolutely recommend Xubuntu for someone with a fast computer who happens to like Xfce, but not for older hardware.

utnubuuser
August 24th, 2009, 09:28 PM
+1 Crunchbang

or

Sidux XFCE

cmay
August 24th, 2009, 09:29 PM
FreeDOS ,MINIX, puppy linux , damn small linux. vector linux , tiny core. maybe a BSD variant. these are the distributions i install on my oldest computers i fix for the fun of it. anything faster than these on real old hardware i think is hard to come by or maybe too tricky to install for me to bother trying.

i ran MINX on 100 mzh processor wiht only 16 mb ram once for a whole month before the PC powersupply burned down. i had puppy linux running on a 100 mzh and 32 mb ram but it would not install . it did boot however. slow but it did afterall.

for a usable system a bit more ram and more power and puppy or even if it can handle vector or crunch bang is what i would reccomend if the system is powerfull enough. else use windows 95 or one of the other small distros that are light on ressurces. or a hobby OS like minix or FreeDos.

anythin over 128 mb ram i would just install debian lenny on using lxde or openbox. of the processor is something like from 700 mzh and up. the old computer i use right now i had debian lenny on for long time and it has 600 mzh processor and 128 mb ram and it runs great.

bodhi.zazen
August 24th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Wolvix, SLAX, or Zenwalk =)

IMO these Slackware variants run very nicely on older hardware without the "hassle" of Arch or Gentoo.

The problem with DSL and Puppy linux, although they run fast, they are clunky.

Recently I have enjoyed SliTaz

http://www.slitaz.org/en/

Nice listing : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=575456

murderslastcrow
August 24th, 2009, 10:35 PM
!# (Crunchbang) would work really well with this. However, if you want sheer speed, go for DSL (Damn Small Linux), since it can run on as little as 64 MB of RAM. I have a 112 MB RAM, 600 Mhz PC running like a dream on it. It's comparable to Windows 95 in speed vs processing power.

But a lot more modern than that, obviously. If you take this route, you may want to use the version that includes GTK2 libraries. It's based on Debian, and will require minimal text-based work to get installed on the hard drive.

crystal88_
August 24th, 2009, 11:16 PM
try fluxubuntu... worth trying, just give it a go. (I mean fluxubuntu and not ubuntu + fluxbox.. the first one is said to be faster)

Muppeteer
August 24th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I'd say stick arch over ubuntu. Not to start a war or anything, but ubuntu is getting a bit bloated. Better off with a minimal install and only have what you need. Then build a custom kernel to keep the resources low.

snowpine
August 24th, 2009, 11:22 PM
try fluxubuntu... worth trying, just give it a go. (I mean fluxubuntu and not ubuntu + fluxbox.. the first one is said to be faster)

Bad choice... Fluxbuntu is based on Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy) which has reached its "end of life" and is no longer supported. No security updates, and the repositories are closed. AntiX is similar, but is still an active project.

Dr. C
August 25th, 2009, 04:08 AM
I would actually try Ubuntu seriously.

kk0sse54
August 25th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Crux :twisted:

Edit: Scratch that, I wouldn't classify crux as easy to use. Perhaps Slitaz or Debian Lxde?

Grifulkin
August 25th, 2009, 04:19 AM
I have an older laptop, not as old as yours and mine runs Ubuntu just fine. But what I would do personally, minimal install then install lxde, and chrome for a browswer and wicd for a network manager, so there aren't any gnome dependencies and build it up from there, and it should run very smothly.

cascade9
August 25th, 2009, 04:22 AM
Only if you think Xubuntu is the "best distro for old laptop." ;)

I personally find it not that fast compared with other Xfce distros (Debian, Sidux, Arch, etc).

Interesting comparison: http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090427#feature

I would absolutely recommend Xubuntu for someone with a fast computer who happens to like Xfce, but not for older hardware.

+1. I've got a p3-866 with 384MB and its not as fast with xubuntu on it as it was with debian Xfce. I dont use it that much, but my flatmate, who does, complains about flash performance in particular, and general slugishness.

terry_gardener
August 25th, 2009, 05:37 PM
i would like to thank everyone for there suggestions.