PDA

View Full Version : What does Ubuntu mean 2 u?

Sp@z
February 2nd, 2006, 07:05 PM
Well i think most of us know what Ubuntu means, but what does it really mean to YOU?

I have been looking at articles and videos of Mark Shuttleworth and viewing things from different aspects. I have a much higher respect for Mr. Shuttleworth and Ubuntu after watching and reading. Not that I had any less before but hey I never even wondered who Bill Gates was.......

I am using Ubuntu because I totally believe in what he has done and is currently doing for the communities he is helping....I have some issues with ubuntu, but that is only because I am a gamer and Linux is not the OS of choice for gamers. Even though the games I play are native to Linux, my hardware apperently isn't though. As many times as I have done stupid stuff and totally borked Linux and reinstalled it, I always reinstall it. I want to make ubuntu my ONLY OS (Dual booting sux imo) on my machine, but I just can't do that yet. In time maybe I will.

IMO there is nothing wrong with M$ and XP, IF you know what your doing.............but it all boils down to principles and I am not in agreement with Bill Gates and the company called M$........too many times you read or hear abotu unethical practises from M$ and it seems as though when I hear about how much money Bill Gates or Melinda Gates or even M$ has donated to the community, I don't realy care. I mean it is great that they do, but I can't see Bill Gates supporting a company that mocks corprate logo's and trademarks.

So basically it boils down to priciples of a company that keeps me doing business with them, more than convience, more than security.

I just want to say Nice job to Mark ShuttleWorth and the Ubuntu team (all of them including the forum hosts, creators whatever you want to call them :) )

xequence
February 2nd, 2006, 07:26 PM
What does ubuntu mean to me... Hmm... It means the only linux distro to work on my computer fully.

daditlefsen
February 2nd, 2006, 07:33 PM
Ubuntu means a Linux distro that everything just works on.

Vlammetje
February 2nd, 2006, 09:53 PM
It means: a working and complete alternative to XP for me. It's my only OS and I learn stuff about it every single day. It's brought freedom to my PC and I 'just like it'. :)

Teroedni
February 2nd, 2006, 10:02 PM
Friend for Life

Stable ,secure, No backdoors ,Themeable Great Graffix
Impressive screensaver, Effective ,Magic , No f.... mousedriver
Productive Freedom

I could go on Forever;)

Garyu
February 3rd, 2006, 12:10 AM
to me Ubuntu is an exciting new toy to play with. I hardly play games or watch TV anymore, because I'm busy "ubuntuing". This means spending time at the forums, finding new fun apps, customizing the looks and feel of everything, translating some apps to swedish, trying to add to the development with what I can, and so on... I've gotta tell you, using Ubuntu is more fun than many games. It's like a MMORPG, but I'm actually being myself in the real world. :mrgreen:

towsonu2003
February 3rd, 2006, 01:44 AM
to me, it means the ONLY distro that my winmodem works in... I am not sure which smily to choose: \\:D/ (working winmodem) or :cry: (can't try other distros in 3/4/5/6boot system) ....

Iandefor
February 3rd, 2006, 04:46 AM
Freedom. Freedom to contribute to the software I use in a variety of different ways. Freedom from expensive software and expensive support. An harmonious way of interacting with my community.

Even if I didn't already consider Microsoft a morally bankrupt company, and Windows a deeply flawed and costly operating system, I would still use Ubuntu. Why? Ubuntu is Free, in terms of cost and in terms of the liberties one is allowed to take with it.

I also like it because I've met a bunch of interesting an intelligent people in my stay here on the forums. I've seen some intense drama, some great hilarity, and, of course, great tweaks for Ubuntu!

Buffalo Soldier
February 3rd, 2006, 05:04 AM
to me Ubuntu is an exciting new toy to play with. I hardly play games or watch TV anymore, because I'm busy "ubuntuing". This means spending time at the forums, finding new fun apps, customizing the looks and feel of everything, translating some apps to swedish, trying to add to the development with what I can, and so on... I've gotta tell you, using Ubuntu is more fun than many games. It's like a MMORPG, but I'm actually being myself in the real world. :mrgreen:

ubuntu is more than just an OS.... it's a way of life ;)

ubuntu has pampered me too much. I tried to install Arch Linux a few weeks ago. I'm sure it's a great distro... but I feel like an idiot... I guess i'm too used to ubuntu's way of installation.

Deaf_Head
February 3rd, 2006, 05:32 AM
What does it mean? I don't know what it means to me .. but I know what it gives me. Freedom and privacy in an age where simple things like that are disappearing.