PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Have Notify-osd display multiple balloons

mimor
August 24th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Hi all.
I was just wondering if there is an option to let the notify-osd (the balloons in the top right corner) display multiple baloons?

I'm using Xchat, and I've noted that when getting multiple Hi-lights, this shows me 1 balloon at a time... It would be nicer to have like 5 of these at a time.

I'm not sure if this is a tweak that should be done in Xchat or Gnome.
Move it if it's in the wrong place ;)

macogw
August 24th, 2009, 08:11 PM
It can show one message-type balloon and one system-type balloon (ex: volume up button pressed) at a time. This is to prevent the following:
1) wall of text (ie. the balloons cover 1/4 of the screen and you can't read what's behind them)
2) trying to read 5 things at once and failing

So no, no way to change that.

Neovos
April 18th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Don't you think it should at LEAST be a configurable option? I mean it takes all but a glance (1-2) seconds to read the contents of one (and thats IF it has text), and they display for a 10 full seconds. What about limiting to one per program or something instead of just one system and one other. Or a set number per program so that you could keep some control over it while still allowing for multiple? You could, in the settings, have a test that checks to see what a "max" number of notifications is for your particular screen resolution to prevent that running off the screen problem? Just brainstorming here...

deadvirus
July 13th, 2011, 12:08 AM
Don't you think it should at LEAST be a configurable option? I mean it takes all but a glance (1-2) seconds to read the contents of one (and thats IF it has text), and they display for a 10 full seconds. What about limiting to one per program or something instead of just one system and one other. Or a set number per program so that you could keep some control over it while still allowing for multiple? You could, in the settings, have a test that checks to see what a "max" number of notifications is for your particular screen resolution to prevent that running off the screen problem? Just brainstorming here...
Agreed. There should be a setting for that!

Another thing, the balloons should not disappear when there's no activity. If no key or mouse input is made the balloon should stay on until there's activity on the computer keyboard/mouse. Again, it should have a setting.

Maybe in the next version? :P