PDA

View Full Version : How do you like your Steak

inobe
August 24th, 2009, 06:49 AM
1) Rare

2) Medium Rare

3) Well Done

4) Nuked

also what restaurants actually prepared the food the way you ordered it ?

Olive Garden is the only restaurant that cooked me a nicely done medium rare steak.

Regenweald
August 24th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Well done/nuked(depends on the cook) some peoples well done can still be a little juicy. best i had was a hotel in Barbados.

JillSwift
August 24th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Well done because I like steak but I've seen them butchered. Kill 'em bacteria! :)

PurposeOfReason
August 24th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Medium rare if it is quality steak, well done otherwise.

MaxIBoy
August 24th, 2009, 07:04 AM
I like my steak ground up and put into a hot dog.

I tend to cook my hot dogs for 45-60 seconds on "high," or I grill them on special occasions. When I grill them, I tend more toward the "burnt" end of the spectrum. However, I'm not really picky, and I don't necessarially care much how a restaurant does it.

I can't stand plain ol' meat, except maybe some kinds of chicken. I think it's a texture thing.

Yes, I don't belong in this thread. No, it's not really a big deal.

lisati
August 24th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Well cooked & juicy but not mooing (if it's a beef steak, otherwise insert relevant sound effect)

beak02
August 24th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Medium Rare - unless you're in France in which case you have to ask for about Medium before it's even cooked!

hanzomon4
August 24th, 2009, 07:12 AM
I've started to cook mine in a pan... I put the pan in the oven on 500 degrees. After it's hot I put it on the stove top on high heat and put my, seasoned and coated in cooking oil, steak in the pan... 2 minutes on each side. Then I put the skillet, with steak back in the oven for 5 minutes. Flip it over and cook for another 5 minutes then wrap it in foil.

It tastes great

Giant Speck
August 24th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Definitely medium rare. Juicy, but not too bloody. Mmmmm...

Also, this thread has done before, I think.

HappinessNow
August 24th, 2009, 07:16 AM
1) Rare

2) Medium Rare

3) Well Done

4) Nuked

Olive Garden is the only restaurant that cooked me a nicely done medium rare steak.
Raw, is the only way beef should ever be consumed. If you don't like Raw beef then you should Not waste a piece of meat on bad taste.

My favorite Raw beef dish is Steak Tartare. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steak_tartare)

The picture below is a fine example of Steak Tartare topped with a Raw egg. YUMMMMMMMMMY!!!!!! =P~

speedwell68
August 24th, 2009, 07:27 AM
You missed Bleu off your poll. Bleu is basically just seared in a hot pan. A rare steak shouldn't bleed, if it does the meat has not been treated properly. Beef should be hung for at least 21 days, until it becomes a dark colour. The modern practice is to have meat straight from the animal, straight to the supermarket shelf, which is wrong.

HappinessNow
August 24th, 2009, 07:28 AM
You missed Bleu off your poll. Bleu is basically just seared in a hot pan. A rare steak shouldn't bleed, if it does the meat has not been treated properly. Beef should be hung for at least 21 days, until it becomes a dark colour. The modern practice is to have meat straight from the animal, straight to the supermarket shelf, which is wrong.
The OP also forgot to list RAW!

Sinkingships7
August 24th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Nothing better for me than a medium or medium-rare sirloin. Perfection.

earthpigg
August 24th, 2009, 09:13 AM
kill cow

cut cow up

put on plate

walk through warm room while holding the plate

done.

seriously though, i want to taste the blood and flesh of the beast that lived & died so that i could enjoy a satisfying meal.... I order rare while in continental Europe, and while in the states I specifically state to the server "as rare as the chef is willing to make it."

same with any red meat.

thisllub
August 24th, 2009, 09:38 AM
I breed cattle so I always have good Angus beef.

I like the flavour of rump for steaks. The optimum thickness is about 3cm (just over an inch).
I throw it on a very hot plate until it gets to the right colour then turn once to get the colour right on the other side then rest it in a 120C oven for about 7 minutes.

Perfect.

Grenage
August 24th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Bleu for me!

NCLI
August 24th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Raw or bleu, depends on the quality of the meat.

JillSwift
August 24th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Ye gods this thread is making me hungry.

Nevon
August 24th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Somewhere between well done and nuked.

MikeTheC
August 24th, 2009, 02:18 PM
I like my Gagh (http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Gagh) medium, and in a nice sweet-n-sour or teriyaki sauce.

LowSky
August 24th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Medium well, its isn't pink and not burnt to a crisp. Perfect for me.

A good coarse black pepper and maybe a bit of garlic salt. If its too dry maybe some A1 sauce.

richg
August 24th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I have always preferred my steak cooked.

Rich

racerraul
August 24th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Raw, is the only way beef should ever be consumed. If you don't like Raw beef then you should Not waste a piece of meat on bad taste.

Funny... I live by those rules with fish... but not beef.

Medium Rare ftw!!!
a little olive oil, Low Sodium dale sauce as salt, sprinkle Montreal seasoning mix and a little ground rosemary...

Oh dang, I need a bib.

JillSwift
August 24th, 2009, 06:49 PM
=o.0=

I think a certain little restaurant that serves really good sashimi is gonna get an order called in tonight.

HappinessNow
August 24th, 2009, 06:52 PM

Medium Rare ftw!!!
a little olive oil, Low Sodium dale sauce as salt, sprinkle Montreal seasoning mix and a little ground rosemary...

Oh dang, I need a bib.

=o.0=

I think a certain little restaurant that serves really good sashimi is gonna get an order called in tonight.

Sashimi is simply awesome! (とろ) Toro is my Fav. of Raw things to eat, tied with Raw beef!

inobe
August 24th, 2009, 09:54 PM
rib eye http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rib_eye_steak

salmon and tuna steaks grilled done medium are amazing.

i don't mind a little sushi

lisati
August 24th, 2009, 09:59 PM
I have always preferred my steak cooked.

Rich

You took the words out my mouth. Take care - you don't know where they've been.

<aside>BTW "Lisati" is a Samoan equivalent of "Richard", and my in-laws sometimes call me "Rich". I don't know if there's any cosmic significance here.....</aside>

Joeb454
August 24th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Where's the medium option :(

murderslastcrow
August 24th, 2009, 10:31 PM
3. I can stand 2, but I prefer a rougher texture with my steak. I don't like it when it's the same texture as cheesecake, though (ie. nuked).

stuart.reinke
August 25th, 2009, 12:00 AM
It was said best in the movie The Cowboy Way. "Knock it's horns off, wipe it's nasty ol ***, and chunk it down on the plate."

red_Marvin
August 25th, 2009, 12:04 AM
I want min with "stekyta" (fried surface?) on the outside, but going from pink to dark red and slightly translucent towards the middle.
This combined with coarsly ground black pepper, or a mix of crushed garlic, paprika, hot chilli pepper and butter.

baseface
August 25th, 2009, 12:51 AM
bloody as hell.
more blood == more flavor.

Mike'sHardLinux
August 25th, 2009, 12:57 AM
I usually get mine medium rare, preferably on the rare side. I would try rare or even raw if I wasn't afraid of catching something. I love the taste of beef! Kind of spoiled on filet mignon. But ribeye or t-bone are ok, too.

YourSurrogateGod
August 25th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Well done. Put it in a glass pan, add a centimeter of water, bake it at 325 F for about 1 hour (add spices as you see fit.)

doas777
August 25th, 2009, 01:28 AM
eatin steaks:
filet/tenderloin => Rare
porter house, Strip, Ribeye, top sirloin up to 1.5 inch => Medium Rare
porter house, Strip, Ribeye 1.5+ inch thick => Medium (comes out med rare in center)

cooking steaks:
Flank/skirt/round => medium well

meat + fire => Happy tummy.

doas777
August 25th, 2009, 01:32 AM
I usually get mine medium rare, preferably on the rare side. I would try rare or even raw if I wasn't afraid of catching something. I love the taste of beef! Kind of spoiled on filet mignon. But ribeye or t-bone are ok, too.

a porter house is my perfect steak. a nice strip, and a tender filet.

mamamia88
August 25th, 2009, 01:41 AM
i like all steak no matter how it's cooked. but i usually get medium rare

geekygirl
August 25th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Rare or medium rare depending on the cut of steak :)

Got to have it still mooing somewhat ;)

inobe
August 25th, 2009, 03:38 AM
i don't like it too lean, it has to have some marbling.

the leaner' the more rare :)

don't forget the baked potato and ice cold beer to go with it.

DougieFresh4U
August 25th, 2009, 03:53 AM
If its too dry maybe some A1 sauce.

OMG!!! No he/she didn't..
I worked for years in a top steakhouse in Orlando, Fla. (Charley's Steakhouse)
Always love the ones who said 'just wipe it's nose and a** and bring it out'
I've seen it all. But I prefer mr/m. Warm pink center

HappinessNow
August 25th, 2009, 03:59 AM
If its too dry maybe some A1 sauce.Dry? if it is not bleeding and mooing throw it away!

Some "Baleine" Coarse Crystal Sea Salt should be all you need for any cut of beef.

jrusso2
August 25th, 2009, 04:59 AM
I've started to cook mine in a pan... I put the pan in the oven on 500 degrees. After it's hot I put it on the stove top on high heat and put my, seasoned and coated in cooking oil, steak in the pan... 2 minutes on each side. Then I put the skillet, with steak back in the oven for 5 minutes. Flip it over and cook for another 5 minutes then wrap it in foil.

It tastes great

This is the professional way to cook a quality steak at home.

clonne4crw
September 1st, 2009, 12:28 AM
Rare. Nice and pink.

hockeytux
September 1st, 2009, 12:30 AM
Medium Rare - unless you're in France in which case you have to ask for about Medium before it's even cooked!

So true :)

thisllub
September 1st, 2009, 08:08 AM
This is the professional way to cook a quality steak at home.

I have to disagree.

The steak would be well done and wrapping it in foil would cause the juices to stew and toughen it on the way to the table.
It is important that any moisture that escapes the meat evaporates.

hanzomon4
September 1st, 2009, 08:12 AM
I have to disagree.

The steak would be well done and wrapping it in foil would cause the juices to stew and toughen it on the way to the table.
It is important that any moisture that escapes the meat evaporates.

It was actually quite medium rare and very tender. These were some thick steaks

Bodsda
September 1st, 2009, 08:24 AM
In order of preferences

1) Very rare
2) Blue (Still moo'ing)
3) rare

Exodist
September 1st, 2009, 08:24 AM
1) Rare

2) Medium Rare

3) Well Done

4) Nuked

1 Rare..
Just knock off its horns, whipe its nasty old *** and thro it on my plate.

insane_alien
September 1st, 2009, 11:38 AM
i enjoy the whole spectrum from completely raw to nuked.

although it do tend to avoid the medium range of the spectrum.

i most often eat it rare though. and if i'm at my parents then i get it nuked (no choice in the matter anyway) but i still find it awesome.

there is a difference in tast for rare well-done but its foolish to think one is better or worse, they are just different.