PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New install of 9.04 Desktop (from alternate CD) on ASUS P5GC-MX - X won't display

Sootah
August 24th, 2009, 04:32 AM
I just installed 9.04 on a play computer I have with an ASUS P5GC-MX motherboard. The regular install CD wouldn't work, it wouldn't load the graphical install interface. I then used the alternate CD to install, which went off without a hitch.

Anyway, now that I've booted for the first time, it shows the pretty Ubuntu loading splash page and then once it gets to where you'd log into the desktop (X) my monitor simply displays the message "Cannot display this video mode". I've dropped to a root shell with networking and looked at the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, and it has everything as default in there. I then tried to add the following lines to the "Devices" section:

Driver "intel"
Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"

This worked for me some time ago on a Presario SR1503WM that wouldn't load X, but had no effect on the P5GC-MX. I figured where the mobo has the Intel 945GC Chipset that it'd work, but unfortunately, it did not.

Oh, also, I tried the "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" command at root terminal to no effect, as well as the option in the recovery menu to attempt to fix graphical problems.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Sootah

Sootah
August 24th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I've had CentOS 5.3 up and running on this machine fine with X and the Gnome interface - so I know that it's definitely possible to get them working. I just have no idea why X and Gnome don't work when installed on this machine under Ubuntu.

Any ideas?

Sootah
August 24th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Bumperoonie

Sootah
August 27th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Re-Bump

Sootah
August 27th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Re-Bumperoonie number twonie.

Sootah
August 29th, 2009, 06:57 PM