PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu cell phone?

NoBugs!
August 24th, 2009, 04:27 AM
I heard something months ago about the possibility of an Ubuntu Phone / Ubuntu mobile edition coming soon. Do you think there will be an Ubuntu cell phone any time soon?

amitabhishek
August 24th, 2009, 05:11 AM
This is the closest it gets - Ubuntu Mobile Internet Device (MID) (http://www.ubuntu.com/products/mobile)

mybunche
August 24th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I wouldn't mind this at all. Bring it on as long as it has a brown theme. :)
Don't laugh, I have the stock Ubuntu 8.04 them, and the brown desktop theme for Google Chrome. :)

LowSky
August 24th, 2009, 02:24 PM
just get a google android phone if you want open source tech on a phone.

cptrohn
August 24th, 2009, 03:13 PM
I am very interested in the MID's...

Seems to be the natural evolution of the "smartphone" really.... a 3G connection and you could very easily put skype or google voice etc on it... pay for the 3G connection and have unlimited calling for $30 a year... Hmmmm

jeyaganesh
August 24th, 2009, 03:17 PM
just get a google android phone if you want open source tech on a phone.

But Ubuntu phone should be more convenient. :-({|=

Colonel Kilkenny
August 24th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Just wait 9 days. Nokia N900 will be announced 2/9/2009 and it's Maemo based phone. I.e. it is real GNU/Linux based on Debian. Nokia is also sponsoring a lot of work related to Maemo/Debian/Ubuntu (like Mer) and it means that Ubuntu/Debian is probably ported to N900 pretty quickly (although Maemo should be enough...).

Android is totally useless when compared to Maemo.

Glenn Jones
August 24th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Android is totally useless when compared to Maemo.

Care to elaborate

chris200x9
August 24th, 2009, 06:02 PM
http://hackaday.com/2009/01/15/debian-on-the-g1-once-again/

Colonel Kilkenny
August 24th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Care to elaborate

Android is just Linux kernel + lots of Google "stuff" (like nonstandard Java).
Maemo is normal GNU/Linux with things like X server, GStreamer, Pulseaudio etc.
Thus, porting Linux apps to Android equals lots of hard work and lots of hassle when compared to Maemo. Maemo also uses GTK+ and Qt, developers can use C, C++, Mono, Ruby, Python etc.
Maemo just rules because it's real Linux.

+ Pretty much everything that Nokia (or community) does with Maemo goes up to upstream (i.e. Gnome, Xorg, etc.).