PDA

View Full Version : How is KDE 4.3? Any bug?

praveesh
August 24th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Did any one try KDE4.3 ? How is it ? Any bug? Crashing?

isotonik
August 24th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Did any one try KDE4.3 ? How is it ? Any bug? Crashing?

Please keep away it will destroy your pc, stay away I tell thee.

rajcan
August 24th, 2009, 02:25 AM
I love it. I'm running it in virtualbox, so I can use it to it's full potential, but I still like it. The only gripe I have is not so much with KDE as with the upcoming Kubuntu release. I hate KPackageKit! Why was Adept dropped in favor of this?! I know you can still install it through the repos, but why isn't it the default package manager?

Arquis
August 24th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Quite loving it on Virtualbox. I love the new preview of folder content and the new theme is very polished. I have yet to test it on a working environment though. I just wish they could make the menu back button work with a mouseover event instead of a click, but that's just me.

Gnome is still the king (for me at least), but I'm tempted to install KDE again.

kk0sse54
August 24th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Been working perfectly fine for me.

Arquis
August 24th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Oh, Kontact did crash the fist time I used it. I'm using an Opensuse live CD, so maybe it's not KDE's fault at all. :p

praveesh
August 24th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Please keep away it will destroy your pc, stay away I tell thee.
what are you talking about? How would it destroy my pc?

DeadSuperHero
August 24th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Well, it's apparent that I'm not the only one on something here.

4.3's been a great little desktop for me...better in Karmic than in Jaunty IMO, but Karmic's still got some upstream stuff to do.

What I really look forward to is seeing this convergence on non-linux OS'es. Having 4.3 available for FreeBSD and OpenSolaris will definitely be super-interesting.

Firestem4
August 24th, 2009, 04:07 AM
I've been using KDE 4.3 on all of my Linux computers and I absolutely love it. its rock-solid compared to the previous releases. Like everything in this world it's not perfect, and there are some bugs. But it is much more stable than it was. (Mind you I am running on Jaunty backports which is not supported.)

Overall performance is better and a lot of programs tend to work seamlessly with the rest of the system. As the KDE Developers themselves pointed out there isn't one huge improvement in any area rather its the combined improvement of the overall desktop that has made a large impact. Try it out, it has some great new features too that I really love.

An example is in a Folder View (widget or desktop style; ) if you hover your mouse over an icon it does a quick preview that you can navigate instead of having to bring dolphin up. It works seamlessly and is very useful.

macogw
August 24th, 2009, 04:15 AM
Buggy:
- Panel resizing (ok, nothing new, 4.2 was also buggy here)
- Menu drawing (at least on my boyfriend's...mine's fine)
- Doesn't check for battery status on boot so if compositing should be off on battery power and you boot on battery, compositing is still on. Turning off compositing and switching to AC does funky things.
- Plasma theme sometimes randomly changes on some parts

macogw
August 24th, 2009, 04:16 AM
I love it. I'm running it in virtualbox, so I can use it to it's full potential, but I still like it. The only gripe I have is not so much with KDE as with the upcoming Kubuntu release. I hate KPackageKit! Why was Adept dropped in favor of this?! I know you can still install it through the repos, but why isn't it the default package manager?
Because the Qt4 version of Adept is broken and they don't want to ship any Qt3 apps.

Perfect Storm
August 24th, 2009, 04:16 AM
I really like the how all the small things new improvement in KDE4.3.
The first thing I noticed is that you can "preview play" movie/video clips in dolphin. Other thing is it's way more stabil than the other releases.

Perfect Storm
August 24th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Because the Qt4 version of Adept is broken and they don't want to ship any Qt3 apps.

Is the qt4 version of k3b stable/done?

macogw
August 24th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Is the qt4 version of k3b stable/done?

Umm..well it's being shipped in 9.10. That's all I got.