PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu cd reports 1 damaged file=no install

ksennin
August 24th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Trying to do a fresh install of 9.04 on my second pc, I ran into a strange issue. The live cd loaded fine, and the minor stuff I did worked ok. But when I started to install, the process aborted while copying files from the cd, about 26% into it. A second attempt failed as well.

As I wanted to use this machine for testing multiple mixes, I proceeded to install xubuntu 9.04 and it went flawlessly.

I then tested the integrity of the ubuntu cd and it reported failure in 1 file. Puzzled, I checked the md5 hash and it matched perfectly with the hash at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes, so I doubt it was a faulty download.

I wondered about the write to cd being faulty and burned a second cd, using CD-R, and 4x speed. The cd showed the same problem, with one faulty file at the integrity test, and no install possible. I could blame the burner, but it the same one that burned the xubuntu cd, AFTER the ubuntu one, and other uses have shown no problems.

I am downloading the iso again, just in case, and will report results. But is it possible that an iso file contained a faulty file upon an update to the ubuntu servers?

mikewhatever
August 24th, 2009, 01:31 AM
It's possible, since nothing is perfect. What I don't see is, how downloading the very same iso will help.

ksennin
August 24th, 2009, 01:45 AM
I had downloaded that iso several days ago, so maybe there was an update and correction. The question is whether other people have not noticed any such trouble?

ksennin
August 24th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Um, I have twice tried to download the iso, from two different sources, and have twice gotten md5sums failures. Strange.

potatoguy123
August 24th, 2009, 05:18 AM
Try downloading 9.04 using bitorrent it checks the has as your're downloading. Good luck!

ksennin
August 24th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Yeah, this is now ridiculous. A third direct download gave me yet another different value.

Topsiho
August 24th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I have had this problem a long time ago: downloading large files such as .iso files did not succeed as expected. After a lot of experimenting with different modems and cables and such, I was quite sure the problem was with the provider. So I contacted them, and though they never admitted it, I found I could download again large files without any error.

Maybe your provider has a problem...

Topsiho

mkvnmtr
August 24th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I seem to have much better luck using bit torrent to download the iso. I believe everything is checked many times and have never had a bad download

ksennin
August 24th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I would blame my provider, except that the xubuntu iso downloaded without a problem, and the first iso of ubuntu matched the md5sum perfectly YET failed its own self-integrity test once burned. Strange.

May try the torrent, as suggested.

presence1960
August 24th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Bit torrent is the way to go, especially for iso files to install an OS.