PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] error during installation

guine
August 23rd, 2009, 08:32 PM
When I try to run the installation for 9.04 I get this message.

The attempt to mount a file system with type ext3 in SCSI1 (0,0,0), partition #1 (sda) at / failed.

You may resume partitioning from the partitioning menu.

Does anyone know what this means and is there anything I can do about it or does it just mean that the hard drive I'm trying to install on is dying and I won't be able to install anything on it. I had been able to copy files off of it as recently as Friday. Thanks.

Shazaam
August 23rd, 2009, 08:49 PM
It might be failing. Go to the drive manufacturer's website and see if they have any drive diagnostic tools.
Have you tried setting up your partitions manually before installing Ubuntu?

guine
August 23rd, 2009, 08:57 PM
It might be failing. Go to the drive manufacturer's website and see if they have any drive diagnostic tools.
Have you tried setting up your partitions manually before installing Ubuntu?

Yeah, but its been close to two years and I've used my other hard drive as my main drive since then so I've only been using this drive occasionally since then.

stlsaint
August 23rd, 2009, 10:07 PM
are you upgrading or doing a fresh install...are you dual booting or single OS...just some info...what is on the hdd now?

guine
August 23rd, 2009, 11:10 PM
My computer has two hard drives in it and the first one had breezy and a swap partition on it and the second one had feisty and a swap partition on it. I had been using feisty so I was trying to install jaunty over breezy on the first hard drive in a new install which failed, but has left feisty alone and working except for it stops in the boot and I have to tell it to restart in the terminal to get it to finish booting and let me log in.