PDA

View Full Version : Did you hear about the Touch Book?

entr3p
August 23rd, 2009, 08:19 PM
Check out the website: http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/home/

"The world's first netbook with a detachable keyboard. More than 10 hours of battery life*. Touchscreen with 3D user interface. Internal USB slots."

It's preinstalled with a Linux distro. Did you guys hear about this before?

tgalati4
August 23rd, 2009, 08:56 PM
The first time you take through airport security, the uniformed guard will kindly snip off the keyboard points with a seized toenail clipper.

"Here you go. You get to keep both pieces. Now you can put your shoes back on. Next in line please."

unoodles
August 23rd, 2009, 09:45 PM
I had heard about this before. The only reason I will never buy one is that it is has an ARM processor.

Dr. C
August 23rd, 2009, 09:46 PM
This is one of many to come. ARM, 10 hour+ battery run time, and runs GNU / Linux (including derivatives such as Android) or Windows CE, and priced in the $200 - $400 range with prices dropping fast.

starcraft.man
August 23rd, 2009, 09:56 PM
Apart from the ARM processor, I don't know the company, it doesn't even have a wikipedia page. Pass.

Bölvağur
August 23rd, 2009, 10:12 PM
I want one :(

Mr. Picklesworth
August 23rd, 2009, 11:04 PM
I love how they wouldn't be allowed to run Windows even if they wanted to. Further proof that Linux drives innovation, contrary to Steve B's claims :P

I had heard about this before. The only reason I will never buy one is that it is has an ARM processor.Although I hope you realize that processor is why it is what it is. ARM clobbers Intel for energy saving. Besides, Debian and Ubuntu both maintain packages built for ARM right alongside the x86 ones. You wouldn't be missing much.

Firestem4
August 27th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I'm highly considering buying one of these. It looks really damn neat. I'm really excited to see ARM(RISC)-based computers hit the market. They should see a big rise in popularity as the year goes on.

They're also incredibly inexpensive to manufacture compared to CISC/Intel Processors which leads to a nice price point major Computer Manufacturers have a tough time trying to match.

madjr
August 27th, 2009, 08:34 PM
looks awesome from what i see in the vids (http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/touchbook/gallery.htm)

the OS seems cool, specially in tablet mode with the touch screen interface

the price is competitive

12 month warranty

tablet + netboos (first smartbook?) , looks good

might get one, but not right away till get some reviews

sloggerkhan
August 27th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I hear good things about it from reviews.
It's pretty techy oriented, but the only real negative I've heard is that there's a tendancy for the overall laptop to fall backwards because so much of the internals are in the monitor.

Firestem4
August 27th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I hear good things about it from reviews.
It's pretty techy oriented, but the only real negative I've heard is that there's a tendancy for the overall laptop to fall backwards because so much of the internals are in the monitor.

Lol I was kind of wondering about that. The primary battery is located in the keyboard at least to provide some weight there...Otherwise its just a keyboard with peripheral ports.

Glenhawk
August 28th, 2009, 02:23 AM
The Keyboard actually only has a huge battery, the connection interface and a power socket. No peripheral ports.
It does look a little top heavy but hey some things in life are better top heavy :twisted:

Mark76
August 30th, 2009, 06:46 AM
I'm highly considering buying one of these. It looks really damn neat. I'm really excited to see ARM(RISC)-based computers hit the market. They should see a big rise in popularity as the year goes on.

This is actually the second coming of ARM on personal computers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_Archimedes

Firestem4
August 30th, 2009, 07:21 AM
This is actually the second coming of ARM on personal computers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_Archimedes

did not know that, pretty cool. Although it looks as if ARM may have a better chance of breaking into mainstream consumer usage for netbook/notebook devices rather than just mobile phones and embedded devices like PDA's.

Dell is coming out with an ARM-based netbook eventually. Nokia already is working on the Maemo platform for their ARM Netbooks too.

Frak
August 30th, 2009, 07:32 AM
The only reason I'm buying this is because of the ARM processor.

sudoer541
October 2nd, 2009, 07:26 PM
are these nebooks easy to repair by yourself, like desktops are?

Firestem4
October 2nd, 2009, 08:25 PM
are these nebooks easy to repair by yourself, like desktops are?

It really depends on what breaks. If the ram goes bad or the main-storage, those are easy to replace. If you have soldering skills you could replace broken USB hubs, etc.

I would compare this(these) netbooks to regular laptops though, not desktops. Desktops have evolved with a standard form factor (ATX being the most common). An ATX device will (should) fit in anything that is an ATX compatible form factor (hardware, case etc)(Not including Micro-ATX or etc). But netbooks which are much smaller use a lot of custom hardware, which is manufacture specific.

drawkcab
October 2nd, 2009, 09:20 PM
I'm going to wait to see/use one in person before I even think about buying a second netbook, touchscreen or no.

sudoer541
October 2nd, 2009, 09:26 PM
It really depends on what breaks. If the ram goes bad or the main-storage, those are easy to replace. If you have soldering skills you could replace broken USB hubs, etc.

I would compare this(these) netbooks to regular laptops though, not desktops. Desktops have evolved with a standard form factor (ATX being the most common). An ATX device will (should) fit in anything that is an ATX compatible form factor (hardware, case etc)(Not including Micro-ATX or etc). But netbooks which are much smaller use a lot of custom hardware, which is manufacture specific.

hey, thanks for explaining it to me. When I buy a computer I always want to make sure that a relative can easily fix it for me without sending it for repairs. Can you customize a netbook, like adding an extra fan, upgrade video card, change mother board and such?

ve4cib
October 2nd, 2009, 09:30 PM
I pre-ordered one of these a while ago (back when I first heard about it). That was sometime in late July, so I think I'm in the October group for when it'll actually ship (since it's still in beta).

It looks like a slick little device. Not too expensive, and with everything built around USB ports it's like a tinkertoy for geeks (I stole that like from a review I read). And it's got that PADD-like aesthetic when the keyboard is detached. I'm definitely looking forward to trying it out.

I'm not sure if I'll be sticking with the default OS or if I'll install Debian on it. Or maybe I'll just get two SD cards; one with the stock OS and the other with Debian. Oh, the options!

hessiess
October 2nd, 2009, 09:32 PM
I had heard about this before. The only reason I will never buy one is that it is has an ARM processor.

Thats a good thing, X86 is a ridiculously bloated architecture.

ve4cib
October 2nd, 2009, 09:35 PM
Thats a good thing, X86 is a ridiculously bloated architecture.

It's good and it's bad. The volume of software out there for ARM is pretty small compared to x86. So if you need a lot of specific applications it's certainly a drawback.

That having been said, you do gain a fair bit in start-up time and power-consumption with ARM. And given that there are a few other companies coming out with ARM netbooks we're likely to be seeing more apps for them in the next couple of years.

sudoer541
October 2nd, 2009, 09:39 PM
I'm going to wait to see/use one in person before I even think about buying a second netbook, touchscreen or no.
a touch screen netbook with ARM processor would be cool.
the touch book I saw on the video, it does not have a glass protector like the ipod touch. So you can easily damage the screen.

hessiess
October 2nd, 2009, 09:47 PM
It's good and it's bad. The volume of software out there for ARM is pretty small compared to x86. So if you need a lot of specific applications it's certainly a drawback.

That having been said, you do gain a fair bit in start-up time and power-consumption with ARM. And given that there are a few other companies coming out with ARM netbooks we're likely to be seeing more apps for them in the next couple of years.

Regarding open source software and linux, getting it running on ARM is generally just a matter of recompiling it. The only problem would be closed source applications.

Backwards compatibility is not always a good thing, an excellent example of this is Windows where almost all of the common problems with the OS are due to pulling forward stuff from the OS's history as a single user platform, like storing configurations in a global location.

A verry large portion of the start up time on the X86 PC platform comes from the outdated 16 bit BIOS, which is basically complealty useless these days.

ve4cib
October 2nd, 2009, 09:53 PM
Regarding open source software and linux, getting it running on ARM is generally just a matter of recompiling it. The only problem would be closed source applications.

Backwards compatibility is not always a good thing, an excellent example of this is Windows where almost all of the common problems with the OS are due to pulling forward stuff from the OS's history as a single user platform, like storing configurations in a global location.

I agree with you. But, in the case of a netbook, recompiling (large) applications can be very time-consuming, given the lower power available. And setting up a cross-compiler on a more-powerful machine is certainly not to everyone's liking.

My biggest concern about the Touchbook's default OS is what's on the repositories (and what kind of package format it uses). The appeal of putting Debian on mine is the very large selection of main and third-party repositories. But if the default OS (which is some sort of customized Angstrom-derivative) has support for RPM/Deb (or at least a mechanism of converting those to a supported archive type) I'll be very happy indeed.

Maheriano
October 2nd, 2009, 10:51 PM
Wow. I've been looking for a small solution for a touchscreen Wi-Fi remote control for my home media system with a customizable interface. This is exactly what I needed at half my budget.

Firestem4
October 2nd, 2009, 11:28 PM
hey, thanks for explaining it to me. When I buy a computer I always want to make sure that a relative can easily fix it for me without sending it for repairs. Can you customize a netbook, like adding an extra fan, upgrade video card, change mother board and such?

Unfortunately notebooks in general, and Netbooks especially are very limited and customized to only provide the hardware (you purchase) with it. This is entirely due to size available to notebook manufacturers. They are effectively squeezing an entire desktop into a very small form factor and they have to play puzzle-master with the hardware. Much of it is custom and vendor-specific.

Things that you CAN do yourself and purchase replacements for at any electronics store are RAM and Hard Drives. You could not replace a mobile graphics card with another because it may not fit, or entirely other reasons (power limitations, etc)

This is a good generic explanation about notebook form factors. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laptop#Components

Also, this touchbook specifically does not have a fan (it does not need it because the ARM processor generates very little heat in comparison with X86 processors.

sudoer541
October 2nd, 2009, 11:39 PM
Unfortunately notebooks in general, and Netbooks especially are very limited and customized to only provide the hardware (you purchase) with it. This is entirely due to size available to notebook manufacturers. They are effectively squeezing an entire desktop into a very small form factor and they have to play puzzle-master with the hardware. Much of it is custom and vendor-specific.

Things that you CAN do yourself and purchase replacements for at any electronics store are RAM and Hard Drives. You could not replace a mobile graphics card with another because it may not fit, or entirely other reasons (power limitations, etc)

This is a good generic explanation about notebook form factors. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laptop#Components

Also, this touchbook specifically does not have a fan (it does not need it because the ARM processor generates very little heat in comparison with X86 processors.

makes sense thanks

sideaway
October 2nd, 2009, 11:46 PM
I, for one, am very excited about ARM netbooks I don't think I'll even purchase an x86 netbook. For desktops, energy efficiency isn't so much of an issue with me. However if you can build a silent server with an ARM chip, gigabit network, decent sata controller and a whole lot of 5400rpm silent drives... Perfect file-server!

earthpigg
October 2nd, 2009, 11:51 PM
clicking around their website, they claim to be very FOSS-friendly.

the FAQ page (http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/touchbook/faqs.htm) fires a few thinly veiled shots that essentially amount to "If you want to use proprietary operating systems, talk to proprietary operating system vendors."

Ubuntu compatibility is specifically mentioned in the FAQ.

in addition, this (http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/wiki/index.php/OS_architecture) and this (http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/wiki/index.php/Reinstall_OS) is the type of documentation that makes me very interested.

and take a look here (http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=104), at their forums.

earthpigg
October 2nd, 2009, 11:52 PM
the founder himself discussing package management!

http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=83

<3

http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/wiki/index.php/Applications_list

<3 times 5 million.

ve4cib
October 3rd, 2009, 12:06 AM
I'd seen the application list a while ago, but it's good to hear the status of the package-management (or lack thereof for the moment).

Looks like I'll be getting a second SD card to run Debian off of. Provided I can figure out how to create a Debian ARM bootable USB stick. They have .img files for most other architectures, but not ARM. Frustrating, but I'm sure that with enough Google searches I'll find something useful in that respect.

init1
October 3rd, 2009, 12:19 AM
Although I hope you realize that processor is why it is what it is. ARM clobbers Intel for energy saving. Besides, Debian and Ubuntu both maintain packages built for ARM right alongside the x86 ones. You wouldn't be missing much.
You will be missing a number of x86 only applications though.

Frak
October 3rd, 2009, 12:25 AM
You will be missing a number of x86 only applications though.
Aye. PowerPC still clobbers Intel for the amount of power available (number of cycles needed to complete a job vs. clock speed), but it still failed because of Intel and AMD's market share.