PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu can't find sound card

Felipejane
August 23rd, 2009, 06:57 PM
I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 on a Dell desktop that's several years old. It was originally a Windows machine, and I inserted a Sound Blaster card that I'd gotten off an older machine when I got it. When I first installed Ubuntu several versions back, I was able to hear sound from apps like Rhythmbox, Movie Player, etc. But at some point I ceased being able to get sound out of it, unless I ran Ubuntu from a live CD. I have since removed the Sound Blaster card, so that the built-in Dell sound "card" (that's on the motherboard, I guess; it's not a separate card) is all that's there.

When I run Linux from the Ubuntu live CD, it manages to find the sound card, and all is well. When I run from the version of 9.04 installed on the hard drive, I'm guessing that Linux sees an old configuration somewhere that points to the now-missing Sound Blaster card, and it doesn't go any further to find the existing sound card.

My question is, what configuration file do I need to edit (or replace) so that I can once again run sound apps on this machine? I would have thought that when I upgraded to a new version of Ubuntu it would search these things out again, as the Live CD does, but that is not the case. Any way to force it to "re-find" the sound card?

The one previous post in this forum on this subject reports a miraculous recovery, with no clue as to how it was achieved. I'm tired of waiting for miracles.

Thanks

Sam Lars
August 25th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I recommend the sound problems troubleshooting guide here on the forums...
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449&highlight=sound+problems+guide