PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu install on (E:) drive?

Sugarjunkie
August 23rd, 2009, 06:27 PM
Hey, im kinda new to Ubuntu and when i tried to install Ubuntu the installer came up with an option to install Ubuntu on the (E:) driver.
I thought that was a great idea since there wasn't alot of space on my (C:) drive.
So i told it to install on my (E:) drive and when it was done i rebooted and when that was done and i went into the Ubuntu directory there was only like 5 folders and i couldn't find any exe. file in any of them so i if Ubuntu is the kind of programs u can't install on the (E:) drive?
please help, and sorry grammar errors(if there is any)and low IQ.
Thanks in advance ;)

j.bell730
August 23rd, 2009, 06:36 PM
Heh. Don't worry about it. I've never used wubi, personally, but, here's (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#How%20do%20I%20select%20whether%20to%20r un%20Windows%20or%20Ubuntu?) how you run Ubuntu. You have to reboot to access Ubuntu, just like you would if you were to install it the standard way. There are no *.exe files, or anything you would need to run from within Windows. If you don't see a menu when you reboot, try pressing 'Esc', when it prompts you to.

Sugarjunkie
August 23rd, 2009, 07:08 PM
Heh. Don't worry about it. I've never used wubi, personally, but, here's (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#How%20do%20I%20select%20whether%20to%20r un%20Windows%20or%20Ubuntu?) how you run Ubuntu. You have to reboot to access Ubuntu, just like you would if you were to install it the standard way. There are no *.exe files, or anything you would need to run from within Windows. If you don't see a menu when you reboot, try pressing 'Esc', when it prompts you to.

thanks, but i downloadet an ISO file from the ubuntu website, should i download wubi instead? ;p

j.bell730
August 23rd, 2009, 07:25 PM
thanks, but i downloadet an ISO file from the ubuntu website, should i download wubi instead? ;p

Wubi came with the ISO. When you installed Ubuntu from within Windows on the E: drive, you installed Ubuntu using wubi.

Sugarjunkie
August 23rd, 2009, 07:28 PM
Wubi came with the ISO. When you installed Ubuntu from within Windows on the E: drive, you installed Ubuntu using wubi.

ahh.. so the link you gave me was what to do next ;p thank you ;D

Mark Phelps
August 23rd, 2009, 07:42 PM
... i went into the Ubuntu directory there was only like 5 folders and i couldn't find any exe. file in any of them ...

Ubuntu specifically, and Linux in general, doesn't use .exe files -- those are used in MS Windows.

If Ubuntu installed correctly, you should be offered a menu at boot time that allows you to select Windows or Ubuntu. Selecting Ubuntu will launch it to a desktop. You don't need to go into any folders and click on any files.

Sugarjunkie
August 23rd, 2009, 07:47 PM
Ubuntu specifically, and Linux in general, doesn't use .exe files -- those are used in MS Windows.

If Ubuntu installed correctly, you should be offered a menu at boot time that allows you to select Windows or Ubuntu. Selecting Ubuntu will launch it to a desktop. You don't need to go into any folders and click on any files.

yeah sorry didn't knew that read it on that wubi site, but it didnt came up with that option when i rebooted ;s it just started in my vista ;'(

Sugarjunkie
August 23rd, 2009, 10:25 PM
oh damn, uninstalled ubuntu, but there was still a folder named winboot that i couldn't delete.
anyway i tried to install ubuntu agien and i leaved my computer when it was halfway through and when i came back a hour later i was still half so i cancelled and uninstalled it agien(from the "remove a program" at the Control Panel) and there is still that folder in my (E:)/ubuntu filder, what should i do?
i really think i have done something wrong.
im trying to download the iso file agien...

raymondh
August 23rd, 2009, 10:55 PM
oh damn, uninstalled ubuntu, but there was still a folder named winboot that i couldn't delete.
anyway i tried to install ubuntu agien and i leaved my computer when it was halfway through and when i came back a hour later i was still half so i cancelled and uninstalled it agien(from the "remove a program" at the Control Panel) and there is still that folder in my (E:)/ubuntu filder, what should i do?
i really think i have done something wrong.
im trying to download the iso file agien...

If you're downloading the iso file again, try (this time) :

- burn the image as slow as possible, just to minimize burning errors.
- check the md5. here's a how to (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM).
- boot into the liveCD and check the cd for defects.

Again, the wubiguide (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide) for reference.

Also, do back up your files.

Sugarjunkie
August 23rd, 2009, 11:00 PM
If you're downloading the iso file again, try (this time) :

- burn the image as slow as possible, just to minimize burning errors.
- check the md5. here's a how to (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM).
- boot into the liveCD and check the cd for defects.

Again, the wubiguide (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide) for reference.

Also, do back up your files.

thanks, last time i justed mounted it and tried to install.
should i really burn it on a CD intead?

raymondh
August 23rd, 2009, 11:07 PM
thanks, last time i justed mounted it and tried to install.
should i really burn it on a CD intead?

If mounting and installing gave you problems, why not try (this time) burning the image to a liveCd?

Your choice. I prefer a liveCD.

Sugarjunkie
August 23rd, 2009, 11:12 PM
If mounting and installing gave you problems, why not try (this time) burning the image to a liveCd?

Your choice. I prefer a liveCD.

thanks, it works now. ubuntu is installed and il finally go to bed.
have to be up at 06:30 so i have some sleep to catch ;D

raymondh
August 24th, 2009, 04:06 AM
thanks, it works now. ubuntu is installed and il finally go to bed.
have to be up at 06:30 so i have some sleep to catch ;D

congratulations and well done :)

Sugarjunkie
August 24th, 2009, 04:07 PM
congratulations and well done :)

thanks ;D its quite easy when the software just works ;D