PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Segmentation Fault on Clean Install

gonsalvr
August 23rd, 2009, 06:25 PM
I'm using a Gateway Solo and trying to install Ubuntu 8.10 and or 9.10, on a thoroughly wiped HDD using Hirem's. Everytime I attempt to install it fails with a Segmentation Fault. I have been trying to research to understand what is going wrong but the inputs are very confusing. Using Hirem's I have run all the tests and everything seems to appear functioning.
Can anyone point me in the right direction to fix this problem?

Thanks,
randy

running_rabbit07
August 23rd, 2009, 06:50 PM
Can you boot the LiveCD at all?

If so can you go to System>Administration>Partition Editor and take a screenshot and post it?

RJARRRPCGP
August 23rd, 2009, 06:55 PM
I'm using a Gateway Solo and trying to install Ubuntu 8.10 and or 9.10, on a thoroughly wiped HDD using Hirem's. Everytime I attempt to install it fails with a Segmentation Fault. I have been trying to research to understand what is going wrong but the inputs are very confusing. Using Hirem's I have run all the tests and everything seems to appear functioning.
Can anyone point me in the right direction to fix this problem?

Thanks,
randy

Sounds like a bad CD or a motherboard problem. You may have bad caps on your motherboard or power supply.

http://badcaps.net

gonsalvr
August 23rd, 2009, 10:12 PM
I just did another wipe drive and attempted to install Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackelope. I'm on two computers so I have to type the entry:

*Loading hardware drivers...
udevd-event[2221]: '/sbin/modprobe -b pci:v0000125Dd00001978sv0000107Bsd00002550bc04sc01 i00' abnormal exit

Segmentation fault

Note: From what I can tell there were no error messages up to this point, it was all [ok]

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
randy

running_rabbit07
August 23rd, 2009, 10:40 PM
Can you start the LiveCD and choose the boot without making changes option?