PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] problem with re-installation (black screen, distorded colors)

wulfnachtfr
August 23rd, 2009, 05:45 PM
Hello everyone,

About a month ago I installed ubuntu 8 for many reasons (I am studying computer science), unfortunately I had problems with my hard drive (the second hard disk was out of use) I bought a new one, then I re-install windows xp so few days later, I wanted to install ubuntu in dual boot with xp.
I tried with the official cd version 8 and after selecting install, ubuntu bar loads and then there are distorted colors (I can not read/see anything), so I tried with the cd of the version 9 that I downloaded and burned and there , I was at the same location as a black screen with cursor blinking ...

I tryed t the installation in safe mode, or even text mode or the alternate cd,
I make these three options and there is the black screen too ...

I also tried installing usb stick thinking it was my CD / DVD drive that crashed but it doesn't ...

I know that I have an Nvidia graphics card but the version 8 works very well when it was installed on my computer before ...

Have you a solution please?

Thank you in advance! Big_smile

Material:

AMD Athlon 7750 dual core 2.71 GHz
3GB RAM
Windows Xp
NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT

(no problem with microsoft xp)

dstew
August 23rd, 2009, 10:13 PM
Did you finish the Ubuntu installation, and only then on reboot get the distorted display? Or, are you unable to boot the Live CD or Alternate CD?

wulfnachtfr
August 23rd, 2009, 10:33 PM
Hi dstew,

i can't install ubuntu because i can see anything...
and it's impossible to use ubuntu on live cd and alternate cd (black screen with blinking cursor...)

stlsaint
August 23rd, 2009, 10:38 PM
try burning different cd from another mirror...than post results!

wulfnachtfr
August 23rd, 2009, 10:51 PM
ok, i try it right now ;)

wulfnachtfr
August 25th, 2009, 06:10 PM
hi!
sorry i spend lot of hours to try to install several ubuntu's version...
Finally, yesterday i try to install it without dual screen (yes i forgot to say that i have 2 screens...)
And it works!!!

The installation of Ubuntu works only with one screen...

Thanks for your answers!

Bye!

Erik