PDA

View Full Version : Star Craft original + Brood War for $24.99 CND

razorboy5
August 23rd, 2009, 05:43 PM
Hi

I just visited my friendly local game store called Gamerama

they had copies of Star Craft+Brood War Expansion for $24.99 Canadian
was in full package and was wondering if i should get it

are there still alot of people on the servers?
i read on wine it runs in Ubuntu as Gold so that's a plus

when i first played Starcraft i was about 8-9 and very unfamiliar with the "internet" so i stayed away from Battlenet and just dominated against computers

should i go back and try this out before the release of StarCraft 2?

JDShu
August 23rd, 2009, 06:04 PM
Starcraft is an amazing game. People still play starcraft very competitively on leagues such as iccup, so if thats your thing, you don't have to worry about a lack of players. The story is also very good, though if you've played WC3, you'll find that its quite similar.

Starcraft 2 won't be out for a while, so yes I do recommend playing the first game while you wait.

PurposeOfReason
August 23rd, 2009, 06:04 PM
Not unless you have friends to LAN with. Battlenet is the wild west these days where you would lose in 5 minutes no joke. My friends and I joke that the good people aren't really playing a game, to them it's an art like a piano.

JDShu
August 23rd, 2009, 06:07 PM
Not unless you have friends to LAN with. Battlenet is the wild west these days where you would lose in 5 minutes no joke. My friends and I joke that the good people aren't really playing a game, to them it's an art like a piano.

HAHA especially in Korea. To them, its a national shame when one of their players lose in the World Cyber Games

PurposeOfReason
August 23rd, 2009, 06:33 PM
HAHA especially in Korea. To them, its a national shame when one of their players lose in the World Cyber Games
You want amazing look at all the new battle reports for sc2. The third one is awesome, just watch David Kim. Normally games don't impress me but it is just amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6tjnC3hFN0

schauerlich
August 23rd, 2009, 07:22 PM
If you want to have any chance of winning, play one of the use map settings games... Instead of playing a normal "here's your base, now fight until all their base are belong to you" games, you have special scenarios set up and you play in that context. Defense games are especially popular. Instead of having a "normal" base, you have one building unit (SCV or probe - although sometimes you get a hatchery for drones) and you build defensive buildings (cannons, bunkers, etc) to defend against waves of enemies that pass by without attacking.

Metallion
August 23rd, 2009, 07:26 PM
That sounds a bit steep to me actually. I bought the same package for 6 euro new about 7 years ago. It's still a good game to have if you like RTS and don't mind looking at old graphics too much.

It's got 3 really distinct races which are extremely well balanced and the story's pretty good too.

Ps: Jeadong for the world. ;)

razorboy5
August 23rd, 2009, 07:55 PM
yes i dont mind the graphics
actually loved playing the game (well i liked the part i remember)

but paying 24.99 just seemed a lil steep to me as well

BuffaloX
August 23rd, 2009, 08:09 PM
You want amazing look at all the new battle reports for sc2. The third one is awesome, just watch David Kim. Normally games don't impress me but it is just amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6tjnC3hFN0

Wow that was cool. :)

@OP
25$ isn't really that good a deal for a game that's 11 years old.
But I suppose some fun can still be had.

madjr
August 23rd, 2009, 08:39 PM
you might also want to check Glest and HoN (will have 75,000 keys available soon)

http://ubunite.com/wutzan/?p=26

if you are a fan of starcraft and don't mind $25 bucks then get it, thou there are some linux ports of nice games you may want to support

good list of upcoming linux ports (if they aren't out yet already):
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1219969

razorboy5
August 27th, 2009, 04:02 AM
alright thx for the opinions and suggestions :P

did get the game for 24.99 was a bit of a hassle to set up to play in Ubuntu but is working, somewhat

playing with some of my buddies online

anyone wanna play online for fun my ign is Aerok :P

beware i'm a noobie :S