PDA

View Full Version : C - float data type and void main()

Nugget_Mon
August 23rd, 2009, 04:44 PM
Ubuntu 9.04
gcc (Ubuntu 4.3.3-5ubuntu4) 4.3.3

Hello,
I have a couple of noob questions. I was following the C tutorial from Dev-C++ 4.9.9.2 (PortableApps) and ran into a couple of errors. I then switched over to GCC and got the same errors.

#include <stdio.h>

void main()
{
float a=10/3;
printf("a=%f\n\n",a);
return 0;
}

The terminal output is :

~/My_C_Programs$ gcc -o program1 program1.c
program1.c: In function ‘main’:
program1.c:7: warning: ‘return’ with a value, in function returning void
program1.c:4: warning: return type of ‘main’ is not ‘int’

~/My_C_Programs$ ./program1
a=3.000000

If I change the code as follows there are no errors and the output is correct:

#include <stdio.h>

int main() // changed void to int
{
float a=10.0/3.0; //added decimals to integers
printf("a=%f\n\n",a);
return 0;
}

~/My_C_Programs$ gcc -o program1 program1.c

~/My_C_Programs$ ./program1
a=3.333333

At first I thought the "return 0;" was the issue with the "void main()" error, but when removed it the error persists.
The error with the float variable. I got the idea to add the decimals from my TI-89. But if I have a more complicated code, how do I ensure that if my code ends up dividing two integers that I actually get a float answer?

Thank you,
Mon

MindSz
August 23rd, 2009, 05:00 PM
In C, when you divide two integers it gives you a truncated int value as you saw in your code.

A way to avoid this with int variables is to type-cast one of the variables (If one of the variables is a float, then the output will be a float)

#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int maint(){
int aNum = 3;
int bNum = 6;

printf("Truncated Output: %d\n", aNum/bNum);
printf("Float Output %f\n", (float)aNum/bNum);

return 0;
}

pepperphd
August 23rd, 2009, 05:14 PM
You can ensure that you get a float answer like this:

float a = (float)b/c;
This is called a typecast.
Also, although C will let you compile a program with a void main, C++ will not. You should get into the habit of using int main()'s.

lensman3
August 24th, 2009, 03:51 AM
You can also initialize a float value using:

float aNum = 3.0f;
float bNum = 6.0f;

There is also a L for long and but for double/float number it is sometimes easier just to exponential notation like: 1.0E+308 .

Recall that the above assignments are generally done during compilation so there is no run-time penalty for casting the value to another type. In this case the compiler has already do the conversion before the execution. That was why your 10/3 was already wrong. The 10/3 was done and THEN cast to a float. You need the decimal point to force the math to floating point math

Nugget_Mon
August 24th, 2009, 03:58 PM
That was why your 10/3 was already wrong. The 10/3 was done and THEN cast to a float. You need the decimal point to force the math to floating point math

Ah, thank you. I was assuming the float declaration determined the operation, not as a typecast after the operation was complete.

Thank you,
Mon