PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Installing DNS Server (Bind9)

p2bc
August 23rd, 2009, 04:38 PM
After a post I was trying to help out a couple of weeks ago, my interests were spired in setting up a DNS server (again).

Found an interesting guild on how to setup an over all server. Decided to actually implement the section on the DNS server on a virtual machine just to give it a go and well this is what ensued.

Following code segments are from the guide

apt-get install bind9

##For security reasons we want to run BIND chrooted so we have to do the
##following steps:
/etc/init.d/bind9 stop

##Edit the file /etc/default/bind9 so that the daemon will run as the unprivileged
##user bind, chrooted to /var/lib/named. Modify the line: OPTIONS="-u bind" so
##that it reads OPTIONS="-u bind -t /var/lib/named":
vi /etc/default/bind9

##Create the necessary directories under /var/lib:
mkdir -p /var/lib/named/etc
mkdir /var/lib/named/dev
mkdir -p /var/lib/named/var/cache/bind
mkdir -p /var/lib/named/var/run/bind/run

##Then move the config directory from /etc to /var/lib/named/etc:
mv /etc/bind /var/lib/named/etc

##Create a symlink to the new config directory from the old location (to avoid
##problems when bind gets updated in the future)
ln -s /var/lib/named/etc/bind /etc/bind

##Make null and random devices, and fix permissions of the directories:
mknod /var/lib/named/dev/null c 1 3
mknod /var/lib/named/dev/random c 1 8
chmod 666 /var/lib/named/dev/null /var/lib/named/dev/random
chown -R bind:bind /var/lib/named/var/*
chown -R bind:bind /var/lib/named/etc/bind

##Start up BIND, and check /var/log/syslog for errors:
/etc/init.d/bind9 start
PS: I love how they put that second to last line in, because there was an error.

Ok, so everything went perfectly without a hitch until the last step with restarting.
Won't restart, I check the log and it says I don't have permission to do this action, although I am doing it as root.

Aug 23 10:42:49 user-VM named[3116]: starting BIND 9.5.1-P2 -u bind -t /var/lib/na$
Aug 23 10:42:49 user-VM named[3116]: found 1 CPU, using 1 worker thread
Aug 23 10:42:49 user-VM named[3116]: using up to 4096 sockets
Aug 23 10:42:49 user-VM named[3116]: loading configuration from '/etc/bind/named.conf'
Aug 23 10:42:49 user-VM named[3116]: none:0: open: /etc/bind/named.conf: permission denied
Aug 23 10:42:49 user-VM named[3116]: loading configuration: permission denied
Aug 23 10:42:49 user-VM named[3116]: exiting (due to fatal error)

So I do a "ls -la /etc/bind/named.conf" and it says it belongs to "bind:bind".I go to the user and group management window to try a quick fix, I added myself and root to the "bind" group, nadda, no good still won't work. Tried "su bind" but seems there is a password ???.

So my question, after all this, how do I get this bad boy working and what went wrong, or over looked. And is there a better way.

p2bc
August 25th, 2009, 01:29 PM
No one has any suggestions???

jon64
August 29th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I'm in no way a linux guru but I have been working with bind9 as well. Have you tried to put the "bind" user in the "root" group just to see if that would work?

jon64
August 29th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I was searching Bind9 related problems in the ubuntuforums and i found this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1131636&highlight=Bind9 it seems like he had the same problem as you did and seems like he also used the same how-to as you did but he found a way to fix the problem. You may want to take a look at it and see if his methods will work for your situation as well.

Cheers! :popcorn::P

p2bc
August 29th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Thx, I will check it out.

jon64
August 30th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Hey I was working with Bind9 prior to your post and was having problems with it as well but today I finally got things sorted out. Heres a link to my thread if you want to take a look at it. Maybe it'll help you setup your DNS server.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7859761#post7859761

Cheers!:popcorn::P

p2bc
September 1st, 2009, 03:43 AM
OK, for this problem as it is posted, the problem was resolved by disabling/removing AppArmor application.

Thx for the help, I see I now I got to do a lot reading to figure out how to get everything working as it should.

Thx again.

JHan816
September 14th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Check out this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=735188

There is a Bind9 profile setting for Apparmor. See the #9 post for a fix. This applies to Hardy but I think it may help here.

I hope this helps, I was about to install Bind9 and do this too.

--John

p2bc
September 15th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Thx, I will check it out.

JHan816
September 19th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I installed Bind9 and did not chroot it like the above instructions. I have it set up as a caching nameserver for now and it is working.

I wonder if chrooting bind is still needed when it is running under Apparmor...