PDA

View Full Version : Semi-broken UI

DarkHelmet46
August 23rd, 2009, 03:52 PM
I'm a bit of a Linux n00b, so bear with me.

Recently I used the Desktop Switcher to swtich from Netbook to Classic, but it only switched over part way. I was left with just desktop icons and no system tray and no way to run any other apps. Rebooting didn't help.

I manually created a shortcut to Terminal, and ran the Desktop Switcher to switch back to Netbook mode. All of the UI features came up, except for the system tray. Ran Desktop Switcher again, switched back to Classic, and it switched OK with all UI feature. Switched again back to Netbook mode, and everything was fine.

However, when I reboot, the Netbook UI loads but without the system tray. I have to switch to Classic mode and then back to Netbook mode again to make the system tray appear.

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the "netbook-laucher", "ubuntu-netbook-remix", and "ubuntu-netbook-remix-default-settings" packages, but to no effect.

Can anyone help me fix this? Thanks.

-Helmet

Edit:
I found that this is a known bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/desktop-switcher/+bug/349519?comments=all

The status of the bug is "Fix Released", but reading through the comments it is confusing to know what the fix actually is, or how to apply it.