PDA

View Full Version : Dreaming about root access

stuart.reinke
August 23rd, 2009, 02:16 PM
This morning I was dreaming that my alarm was going off. For some reason I was trying to use my computer to activate the snooze. The box kept popping up asking for my password saying I needed to be root in order to activate the snooze feature of my alarm clock.

This confused me because I know that the snooze button on my clock does not require root privileges to use. :confused:

Then I woke up to my alarm going off for real.

This leaves me with two thing to ponder...

1. Is my wife right, do I spend too much time on the computer?

2. Does dreaming about being root make me an official Linux geek? :)

Goofy dreams are fun, anyone else care to share?

dragos240
August 23rd, 2009, 02:17 PM
Lolz!

Nevon
August 23rd, 2009, 02:22 PM
This has actually happened to me to, although for me it was the car that required root privileges. That was on the night before I got my driver's license though, so that might explain it. :P

Viva
August 23rd, 2009, 02:23 PM
I always forget my password in my dreams

credobyte
August 23rd, 2009, 02:28 PM

Yes!

RATM_Owns
August 23rd, 2009, 02:48 PM
This has actually happened to me to, although for me it was the car that required root privileges. That was on the night before I got my driver's license though, so that might explain it. :P
Write "sudo" on the car key with a sharpie?

dragos240
August 23rd, 2009, 02:54 PM

You forgot to chmod +x car. Otherwise it can't run!

cmay
August 23rd, 2009, 03:04 PM
yes.

i Have had dreams of reading the manuals and i wake up remembering somethings i think i read for real somewhere and as soon as i get my coffee i suddenly find that i have been dreaming.

it is normal that if someone spends much time on one thing to start dreaming about it. at the time i had those dreams my average usage of my computer was 3 or up to 4/5 hours a day. that does not sound like much in fact but it is enough to manifest it self as dreams at night.

last night i had a uptime on 9 hours i noticed before i switched of the computer and went to bed. but to be fair i have started to watch tv on the PC so it explains the high number of hours. i did not dream of using linux though. i was dreaming i was very hungry :)

stuart.reinke
August 23rd, 2009, 03:15 PM
If it happens again maybe I try

sudo apt-get install nymphomaniac-supermodel

:lolflag:

bodyharvester
August 23rd, 2009, 04:12 PM
joseph@joseph-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install nymphomaniac-supermodel
[sudo] password for joseph:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package nymphomaniac-supermodel
joseph@joseph-laptop:~$

SuperSonic4
August 23rd, 2009, 04:16 PM
I dreamt once that I logged in as root to get a sandwich made - evidently I'd spent too much time on xkcd that day

JillSwift
August 23rd, 2009, 04:50 PM
In my oh-so-humble opinion, that kind of dream is just another simple anxiety dream that everyone has now and again, just themed to fit your personal experiences.

Now, if you dream about not knowing the password for talking to your friends, or being frustrated that your keyboard is a PS/2 and everyone only has a USB port so you can't talk to them, either... well, then you may want to take a break from the computer.* ;)

*Yes, I have had these dreams. "Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a pyramid with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you? Why am I the only one who has that dream?"

alexandari
August 23rd, 2009, 04:54 PM
All I can say is

http://wjholden.com/251csc/fluxen22.jpg

stuart.reinke
August 23rd, 2009, 05:08 PM
joseph@joseph-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install nymphomaniac-supermodel
[sudo] password for joseph:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package nymphomaniac-supermodel
joseph@joseph-laptop:~$

perhaps your luck will be better if you enable the Medibunutu repositories...:P

clonne4crw
September 1st, 2009, 05:37 PM
I've had plenty of weird Linux dreams like that, too. One was where I booted up my PC (which i never shut off) to find that it was running Windows 3.1. THAT was scary!