PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu fails

Sosippus
August 23rd, 2009, 12:11 PM
Hi!
Im trying to install Ubuntu for the first time, and I'm doing it on an external hard drive (FAT32).
I tried with versions 9.04 and 8.04. On version 9.04 the installation remains in "Creating virtual drives" for hours, until I cancel it.
On version 8.04 it stops a bit on that step and then suddenly finishes and says that I need to reboot, but when I do, its impossible to start Ubuntu - the computer either restarts or remains black until I turn it off.

Im running Windows XP and the installation is to be done through a ISO file.

I'd appreciate all the help you can provide. Thank you a lot!

raymondh
August 23rd, 2009, 05:09 PM
Hi!
Im trying to install Ubuntu for the first time, and I'm doing it on an external hard drive (FAT32).
I tried with versions 9.04 and 8.04. On version 9.04 the installation remains in "Creating virtual drives" for hours,

Im running Windows XP and the installation is to be done through a ISO file.

I'd appreciate all the help you can provide. Thank you a lot!

Are you doing a wubi-install (ubuntu inside windows .... or ubuntu as a windows file)?

The iso file, did you burn the image and check the disc and md5?

Sosippus
August 24th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Are you doing a wubi-install (ubuntu inside windows .... or ubuntu as a windows file)?

The iso file, did you burn the image and check the disc and md5?

I'm not sure but I think it's wubi (since the installer is called wubi). I didn't burn the image, I was installing it through Alcohol 120 because someone told me it was possible to do it without actually burning the cd.

do you have any ideas?

wojox
August 24th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Sure burn it onto a cd and install it that way. Never heard of installing directly from alcohol. You're friend could be right, but it seems your not having much luck there.

Sosippus
August 24th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Sure burn it onto a cd and install it that way. Never heard of installing directly from alcohol. You're friend could be right, but it seems your not having much luck there.

Okies, I'll do that. Thanks for the tip ;)
I'll report back when its done

Bartender
August 24th, 2009, 01:42 PM
How much RAM on the PC?

Sosippus
August 24th, 2009, 05:13 PM
How much RAM on the PC?

1Gb i think

Sosippus
August 25th, 2009, 11:32 AM
New error:

now I get "unable to access the cd" when it is creating the image, from the cd. Of course there's nothing accessing the cd I'm using to install Ubuntu, but still doesn't work... :(