PDA

View Full Version : Do you use the Ubuntu Helpcenter?

Screwdriver0815
August 23rd, 2009, 11:15 AM
Hi,

as one of the people who translate Ubuntu in different languages, I often read the documentation in the Ubuntu Helpcenter, when I translate it.

Doing this, I came to the conclusion that the Helpcenter in Ubuntu is a good and comprehensive source for informations for people who do not have so much experience with Linux and Ubuntu particullar.

There are also lots of links and hints to external sites who explain certain issues in a more detailed way... and so on.

So I thought that I ask the question over here: do you/ did you ever read the Ubuntu Helpcenter when you needed Support and Help? Or did you ignore it, being sure that your issue is not covered? Or didn't you know that it even exists?

3rdalbum
August 23rd, 2009, 11:21 AM
The Ubuntu help center (assuming you're talking about System > Help And Support) is good for new users, but it's too command-line oriented for things like setting up Samba.

Screwdriver0815
August 23rd, 2009, 01:42 PM
The Ubuntu help center (assuming you're talking about System > Help And Support) is good for new users, but it's too command-line oriented for things like setting up Samba.

yes, I mean System --> help and Support.

I also have noticed that lots of things will be done via command line in the helpcenter. But isn't it the same as in all the forums too? Because in the command line way, you avoid different versions of software/ OS and different approaches to something...

NCLI
August 23rd, 2009, 02:13 PM
Ubuntu-what?

dragos240
August 23rd, 2009, 02:18 PM
Where's the 'i don't need it' option?

Andreas1
August 23rd, 2009, 02:50 PM
Oh wait, i should have read your posts. When i read "help center", what came to my mind was some kind of online service. anyway, i tend to use man.

Bodsda
August 23rd, 2009, 02:57 PM
If it explains the reasons and fixes for a USB install dropping to a busybox after a successfull install according to ubuntu's USB creator then I might use it, but tbh it is quicker to tell my bot to google an issue for me rather then troll through help pages.

Googles search algorithms are quicker :)

I chose the blunt No option, but I am not 100% sure my issues are not covered, but I do know it exists and no I dont use it so the middle potion was closest for me.

Stan_1936
August 23rd, 2009, 06:54 PM
I don't use the Ubuntu Helpcenter in the OP......the Ubuntu helpcenter that I use can be found at www.ubuntuforums.org.

Penguin Guy
August 23rd, 2009, 07:01 PM
Actually RTFM? Do people actually do that!? :P

madjr
August 23rd, 2009, 08:26 PM
just like in windows I immediately ignored it

seems faster to just google, ask in the forums or irc chat (in linuxmint you even get a nice startup guide and 1st boot live chat)

Screwdriver0815
August 23rd, 2009, 08:39 PM
so am I right when I say that helpcenters in general have a bad image of being useless and thats why it is normally ignored?

I have to admit that I used the helpcenter once (but I found what I was looking for) and usually I also google or search in the forums.

anyway, thanks for the answers!

pprjack
June 19th, 2010, 08:34 PM
No, I did a search on the command "cat". Then I clicked on "GNOME Desktop System Administration Guide". Then yelp went into a never ending "Loading..." state. This thing is broken and not really much help at all. Get rid of it or fix it. It makes Ubuntu look bad.