PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] booting into my windows partition on Ubuntu Jackapel

arvsr1988
August 23rd, 2009, 11:02 AM
I'm using ubuntu 9.04 and I would like to boot into my windows xp partition (to use windows xp, not to access files) while using Ubuntu. I only have an OEM installation of Windows XP which is coupled with my recovery disk so I cannot use Virtual Box to install it. Any solutions?

Mark Phelps
August 23rd, 2009, 03:35 PM
I'm using ubuntu 9.04 and I would like to boot into my windows xp partition (to use windows xp, not to access files) while using Ubuntu. I only have an OEM installation of Windows XP which is coupled with my recovery disk so I cannot use Virtual Box to install it. Any solutions?

Sorry, no.

Any "virtual" solution is going to require the reinstallation of the Windows OS, and unlike with Vista and Seven, XP won't allow you to install and run for a while without a working product key.

raymondh
August 23rd, 2009, 04:19 PM
As Mark Phelps said ... you need the product key. If you need windows and don't want to buy :

1. Look for win7RC and download
2. Ask your OEM for an orginal disc. Results may vary. I did from dell and was graciously mailed an original (with key) XP disc... albeit it took a while - 5 weeks, I think.

Good luck.