PDA

View Full Version : Windows software repo?

ahaslam
August 23rd, 2009, 10:11 AM
Hi there. This may sound like a weird question in a Linux forum but I'll give it a shot... Is there such a thing as a software repo (& corresponding package manager) for Windows? It would amaze me if a community hasn't gotten together to make such a thing possible...

lethalfang
August 23rd, 2009, 10:35 AM
Hi there. This may sound like a weird question in a Linux forum but I'll give it a shot... Is there such a thing as a software repo (& corresponding package manager) for Windows? It would amaze me if a community hasn't gotten together to make such a thing possible...

The closest thing to it is download.com

hackerseraph
August 23rd, 2009, 10:37 AM
The closest thing to it is download.com

download.com, softpedia, cnet, etc etc

although im sure windoze users would be happy if they could apt-get too lulz

Copernicus1234
August 23rd, 2009, 10:40 AM
No there is none that works like Ubuntu where you can download, install and uninstall from within operating system applications. You have to use a browser to manually find and download and manually install and remove it. Also Windows seems to suck at removing. It simply cant remove anything to 100% it seems. There is always stuff left behind in the system. Empty folders, registry entries, start menu entries etc. After a while, your windows looks like a trashcan. :)

When I used Windows, I reinstalled it every 6 months just to get everything back to a clean system. Its crap. :)

GeneralZod
August 23rd, 2009, 10:40 AM
The KDE-on-Windows project uses a Windows port of Gentoo's "emerge" tool to fetch/ compile (or just install: emerge can deal with binary files as well as compilation from source) its dependencies if you build KDE from source; I'm not sure if the whole portage tree is there and working, though.

c2006
August 23rd, 2009, 11:00 AM
download.com, softpedia, cnet, etc etc

although im sure windoze users would be happy if they could apt-get too lulz

God, I'd love to be able to just apt-get stuff on Windows. Microsoft *are* making slow steps in the right direction (you can get updates for software other than Microsoft's through their Update service now, though not much is there yet (NVidia's drivers are included, which is good), but they still have a *long* way to go.

Giant Speck
August 23rd, 2009, 11:02 AM
I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but it might help, regardless:

http://windows-get.sourceforge.net/index.php

ahaslam
August 23rd, 2009, 11:15 AM
I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but it might help, regardless:

http://windows-get.sourceforge.net/index.php

Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately the software list is looking a bit old tho.

Giant Speck
August 23rd, 2009, 11:26 AM
Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately the software list is looking a bit old tho.

Well, according to the project page on Sourceforge, the developer is planning some updates in the coming months. So it's something to watch, at least.