PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Clean version of Ubuntu?

Grundoko
August 23rd, 2009, 05:14 AM
I'm fairly new to ubuntu, and I'm going to dual boot it with Windows 7 on my laptop. Though that's not my issue.

The thing I'm not liking about Ubuntu, is all the programs that come with it that I don't need. And most of them can't be removed from the Add/Remove menu. I know how to use the Synamptic Package Manager, though I don't know what exactly to remove. I've tried multiple times before, but I keep removing things I shouldn't, or can't find everything I need to remove.

Basically, I'm trying to make it so I don't have all the unnecessary programs such as Open Office, Gaim, Firefox, CD Burning software, Bluetooth.

If there's an option in the setup to check off what I want installed, or an Ubuntu variant that comes with no extra applications.

Though, I don't want any drivers removed, or any administrator programs and such. And though I'm new to Ubuntu, I've been using computers starting with DOS, since I was 5, The main reason I'm going to be Dual Booting Ubuntu, is because Ubuntu has so many great tools for programming in C++, which I want to learn. I'm not going to be using it for every day use.

Thanks for the help.

Grundoko
August 23rd, 2009, 05:46 AM
bump

overdrank
August 23rd, 2009, 05:51 AM
bump

Please be patient. :)
You may try the MinimalCD (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD) method.

Grundoko
August 23rd, 2009, 05:55 AM
Thanks a lot, I think that's exactly what I was looking for.

And sorry for being impatient, I'm used to slow moving forums, by the time I posted this, it was already half way down the page =/