PDA

View Full Version : modifying debs

sandyd
August 23rd, 2009, 05:11 AM
is there an app that can modify the properties of deb files? i just need to edit the dependencies a bit because the previous creator put in pre-depends as one of the dependency types. however, they left the rest of the line blank which is confusing my apt repo

days_of_ruin
August 23rd, 2009, 05:32 AM
I think you would have to build a new one.
I could be wrong but I don't think debs are editable for security reasons.

praveesh
August 23rd, 2009, 05:46 AM
You can open the .deb using ark(the archive manager of kde. Installed by default in kUbuntu). You will see control.gz . Open it . You will see a text file named control. Open it and edit the dependancies and save . Done.

3rdalbum
August 23rd, 2009, 06:58 AM
You can open the .deb using ark(the archive manager of kde. Installed by default in kUbuntu). You will see control.gz . Open it . You will see a text file named control. Open it and edit the dependancies and save . Done.

I don't think this will work. Debian packages aren't just "ar" archives - they must be built with the dpkg-deb utility otherwise they won't install.

sandyd
August 23rd, 2009, 04:45 PM
i don't want to start a new thread for this, but how do you remove a deb using rerepopro?

FuturePilot
August 23rd, 2009, 05:33 PM
i don't want to start a new thread for this, but how do you remove a deb using rerepopro?

sudo reprepro -Vb . remove <dist> <packagename>

i.e.

sudo reprepro -Vb . remove jaunty brasero

sandyd
August 23rd, 2009, 05:35 PM
thanks!
apt repo all fixed now.

FuturePilot
August 23rd, 2009, 05:40 PM
thanks!
apt repo all fixed now.

You're welcome! :)

koenn
August 23rd, 2009, 06:50 PM
I don't think this will work. Debian packages aren't just "ar" archives - they must be built with the dpkg-deb utility otherwise they won't install.
it works - I've modified debs before.
the intelligence is in the tools that you use to install them (apt, dpkg, debconf, ...), not in the .deb itself, they're really just archives with a specific dir tree and agreed-upon filenames inside.

you might have to work around the cecksums, but iirc you can just delete the checksum file or so.