PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ATI Video Cards

physic.dude
August 23rd, 2009, 04:45 AM
I know how bad most ATI radeon cards deal with ubuntu, they completely limit anything that anyone does. Just about every game that I actualy like constlnty flickers and freezes. and meny other things that I run fail constantly.

Anyway, I just want to get the most out of ubuntu with litle to know interference form the most obvous bugs.

So if anyone knows when a strong fix will be complete or if I possabley need to get a better videocard.

Thanks,

starcraft.man
August 23rd, 2009, 04:52 AM
The 3d opensource drivers from last I heard are progressing well. You'll know when they become almost perfect, there will be a massive wave of applause so loud it will be heard round the world coming from all the frustrated ATI linux users. Trust me, ya won't miss it. As to when that is, I can't say. If ya really want a decent gaming card on the cheap, I'd just go out and get an 8800GT from any tech store, can even get em second hand. Peppy little card and works fine with nvidia drivers.

Wait vs buy, entirely up to you.

Mark Phelps
August 23rd, 2009, 05:46 AM
I know how bad most ATI radeon cards deal with ubuntu, they completely limit anything that anyone does. Just about every game that I actualy like constlnty flickers and freezes. and meny other things that I run fail constantly.
You didn't bother to say what model card, but if it's one of the many "legacy" cards, the problems you're experiencing are due to the dropping of driver support by ATI.

So if anyone knows when a strong fix will be complete or if I possabley need to get a better videocard.
For the legacy cards, there won't be a "fix" -- they've permanently dropped support. Open source drivers are all that exist.

You want better performance, you need to get a newer video card. And, BTW, the newer cards ARE supported with accelerated drivers.

physic.dude
August 24th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Sorry, it's

ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series

I dont know if thats spsific enough??

Grenage
August 24th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Opinions vary; I personally recommend not waiting, I doubt there will be decent drivers for years (if ever). If you don't wait, be sure to e-mail ATI and say why your next card won't be made by them!

automaton26
August 24th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I use a ATI 4850 on Kubuntu 9.04 x64, and I've not had any problems.

Driver installation is straightforward: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1205418#7

Mark Phelps
August 24th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Sorry, it's

ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series

I dont know if thats spsific enough??

That's one of the "modern" ATI cards which IS supported with restricted drivers. In a terminal, enter "fglrxinfo" to confirm that you have the restricted driver loaded.

brunolabs
August 24th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I use a ATI 4850 on Kubuntu 9.04 x64, and I've not had any problems.

My ATI X700 also runs perfectly with 9.04.
Always had trouble with the previous versions. Looks like they solved all the issues for old cards. :)

physic.dude
October 3rd, 2009, 05:22 AM
Can someone recommend a good high end graphics card? I’m thinking NVIDIA