PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing in wubi

trixman
August 23rd, 2009, 04:14 AM
my brother would like to try ubuntu using the Wubi method of installation in windows. the one question i have is that his hard drive is about 18 gig, how much space should he allow on the hard drive for the wubi installation, and then still have extra space left over for working in ubuntu. I think the program alone is about 5 gig just for the install.

thanks to all

starcraft.man
August 23rd, 2009, 04:48 AM
A standard vanilla Ubuntu install requires about 2.5 GB. I generally suggest 10 GB for the lifetime of a standard user as root (excluding home partition, allowing a lot of room for installation and waste). Since your brother is just trying it, and I assume won't be downloading massive amounts of HD quality video to watch, he should be able to get by with 6 GB as an absolute minimum. If he wants to download a lot of extra pacakges like kubuntu-desktop or xubuntu-desktop to install alternate DEs, tell him to give at 8 or 9 GB. Linux requires a much smaller install compared to Windows over a lifetime. That's my 2 cents.

trixman
August 24th, 2009, 02:08 AM
A standard vanilla Ubuntu install requires about 2.5 GB. I generally suggest 10 GB for the lifetime of a standard user as root (excluding home partition, allowing a lot of room for installation and waste). Since your brother is just trying it, and I assume won't be downloading massive amounts of HD quality video to watch, he should be able to get by with 6 GB as an absolute minimum. If he wants to download a lot of extra pacakges like kubuntu-desktop or xubuntu-desktop to install alternate DEs, tell him to give at 8 or 9 GB. Linux requires a much smaller install compared to Windows over a lifetime. That's my 2 cents.

thanks i have one question how big of a istall is the cd itself, if i give it 9gb will i have 9gb left after the install

thanks

raymondh
August 24th, 2009, 04:12 AM
thanks i have one question how big of a istall is the cd itself, if i give it 9gb will i have 9gb left after the install

thanks

It'll start off with about 2.5GB ... from thereon, it depends on your inputs. Also ( I think) the wubiguide recommeds at least 5GB.