PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Should I install 9.04?

maclarke
August 23rd, 2009, 02:44 AM
I'm running 9.04 from a disk. So far, all seems to be working. I've viewed videos, both my own and YouTube', FireFox works fine, image files display correctly, repartitioned the hard drive, all the things I've been doing with 8.10.
My laptop has the dreaded ATI Radeon Xpress graphic card and a Broadcom 43 series wireless. I haven't been able to get a wireless connection
What should I be looking for that would tell me not to go ahead with an install?

Thanks, Art

zkriesse
August 23rd, 2009, 04:21 AM
NOTHING....INSTALL!!!! JOIN THE DARK SIDE!!!!! With our combined strength...we WILL defeat that Nemesis Microsoft....lol. Just install man. You should be ok.

earthpigg
August 23rd, 2009, 05:05 AM
install it to a thumb drive, and try to get everything to work exactly how you want it. if you cant get it to work there, you wont be able to get it to work on a hard drive install (since the two, for our purposes, are exactly the same).

if you decide to do the hd install, you can use remastersys (google it, outstanding tool) to replicate your system into an installable CD or thumb drive that can be used to install onto your hd... or, you can just do a fresh install.

staf0048
August 23rd, 2009, 05:16 AM
I have the same graphics card and 9.04 did not work for me. I reverted back to Hardy which is what was on it before I tried to upgrade. I was not able to get a larger resolution than 800 x 600 no matter what I did - which was really annoying since Hardy defaulted the max resolution immediately.

markg48
August 23rd, 2009, 12:57 PM
do wubi install if your weary u can easily uninstall from within windows and u dont damage any windows files or any thing

Mark Phelps
August 23rd, 2009, 03:33 PM
My laptop has the dreaded ATI Radeon Xpress graphic card ...
You'll lose restriced video driver support when you upgrade, but 2D graphics and some 3D graphics work fine in Jaunty, it's just that framerate-critical hardcore gaming is not supported because there is no hardware acceleration anymore for your card.

raymondh
August 23rd, 2009, 04:44 PM
Check the manufacturers' website for linux-drivers for your card. That or you can opt to 'ndiswrap'.

Happy Ubuntu-ing.