PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Downloads when Instaling Ubuntu

SayShot
August 23rd, 2009, 02:16 AM
Well, I forgot to disconnect the cable modem (the one which provides the computer the Internet connection) from the computer so when I was installing Ubuntu, it started to download (and install) some packages. One friend of mine had told me to always disconnect this cable so that Ubuntu doesn't install that things, so when I realized that I had the cable connected and Ubuntu was downloading languague packages, I disconnected the cable and Jump that step and few minutes later, the installation was done.
The question here is: Did I do well? Is good the advice that my friend gave to me? Should now I do something because of jumping that step when it had already started (like re-installing ubuntu or formating the partition and then installing again?

I had four partitions, C: and F: (both from Windows XP) and two more that were created automatically by Ubuntu.
I say this because if I had to format, I will not know how to do it without having a problem later... I want to keep the partitions the same size.

I hope you could understand my "problem"
Since now, thanks you!

PD: Sorry of my bad English

esalnoj
August 23rd, 2009, 02:30 AM
Does your system function properly after said install?

And it is a good idea to have no internet when installing ubuntu.

Baneblade
August 23rd, 2009, 02:37 AM
AFAIK Ubuntu doesnt download anything while its installing.
So im not sure what you are talking about.

Bartender
August 23rd, 2009, 03:37 PM
I remember reading an "official" guide from a geek website a few years back that said you should be connected to the internet when installing.

I'd say the only thing you did wrong was unplugging the cable right in the middle of an operation.

And Ubuntu will always try to install two partitions. Like esalnoj says, if it's working, don't worry about it.

raymondh
August 23rd, 2009, 04:27 PM
Now that you have your install, have you updated .... of which you have to be connected?

SayShot
August 25th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Ok, thanks to all of you.