PDA

View Full Version : Gnome Condiments

Warpnow
August 22nd, 2009, 11:59 PM
So, it seems trendy, and fashionable, to have alot of add-ons with gnome, which enhance and bedazzle the interface. Compiz, Gnome-Do, Guake, Screenlets, Conky.

What addition interface applications do you use with gnome?

speedwell68
August 23rd, 2009, 12:19 AM
Gnome Do, I find it useful. I don't really use my mouse to control my pc. I have flirted with compiz, quake, conky, gdesklets and google gadgets and not found any of them to be of much use. I have also tried docky with gnome do too and didn't really get on with that.

Warpnow
August 23rd, 2009, 12:22 AM
Gnome Do, I find it useful. I don't really use my mouse to control my pc. I have flirted with compiz, quake, conky, gdesklets and google gadgets and not found any of them to be of much use. I have also tried docky with gnome do too and didn't really get on with that.

The neat thing about docky is the idea of not having a panel at all. Unfortunately, I don't find it is advanced enough yet to be the only control of my computer.

spupy
August 23rd, 2009, 12:56 AM
Minimalistic conky setup. The other stuff doesn't run in fluxbox. (Well they run somewhat with xcompmgr, but xcompmgr is screwing with smooth scrolling in firefox, so...)

Warpnow
August 23rd, 2009, 01:04 AM
Minimalistic conky setup. The other stuff doesn't run in fluxbox. (Well they run somewhat with xcompmgr, but xcompmgr is screwing with smooth scrolling in firefox, so...)

I know. Its annoying. I've been trying to get Gnome-Do to work in FVWM for a while now without ill effects.

avaralom
August 23rd, 2009, 02:14 AM
I mostly just use conky. I experimented with eyecandy like gnome-do but I really prefer the minimal simplicity of things like flux/openbox and conky.

MaxIBoy
August 23rd, 2009, 02:24 AM
Conky, cairo-dock, compiz.

Cairo-dock is used for all the launchers that used to be on my panel. There are no animations enabled. All the icons have text next to them (actually built into the picture.) It takes up the same amount of vertical space as the panel did, but with far more horizontal space given to each launcher, which makes it more Fitts-law compliant.

Conky is used for CPU usage, RAM, Swap, and network. No text.

Compiz has a healthy amount of plugins enabled (cube, animations, wobbly windows.) If the windows actually have physics to them, it helps me "relate" to them on a deeper level and makes me more efficient.