PDA

View Full Version : Bug reporting in Ubuntu is the most annoying thing ever

nomnomnom
August 22nd, 2009, 10:57 PM
Why do I need to sign into Launchpad every single time I try to report a crash. What's the point? It's supposed to keep you up to date, but all that really happens is your inbox gets flooded with cr@p!

I hate it...

hanzomon4
August 22nd, 2009, 11:00 PM
Lol

Chronon
August 22nd, 2009, 11:02 PM
Why do I need to sign into Launchpad every single time I try to report a crash. What's the point? It's supposed to keep you up to date, but all that really happens is your inbox gets flooded with cr@p!

I hate it...

If you don't want to participate in bug reporting then why are you testing Karmic?

lisati
August 22nd, 2009, 11:03 PM

I hate it...

It has been a while since I used launchpad but aren't there options to choose what amount of mail you get?

The email address I set up to use with the forums and launchpad regularly gets junk mail that has nothing to do with launchpad or Ubuntu - I blame the spammers and their darned spiders. It's almost enough to make me arachnaphobic!

nomnomnom
August 22nd, 2009, 11:05 PM
If you don't want to participate in bug reporting then why are you testing Karmic?

Because I want to give back a little. But it's exactly the same on Jaunty. It's the most retarded bug reporting system in existence. All I want to do is report the issue, not fill out a questionnaire and then have my inbox flooded by 1000000000 "I have this issue too" emails.

What's the point in that?

23meg
August 23rd, 2009, 12:05 AM
Reporting an issue and not following up with it is not good practice. Bug triagers and developers will often have to ask you for details you didn't initially provide, and for that, you need to be contactable in the context of the bug. That's why you're subscribed to bug mail for every bug you report.

If you're sure you don't want any bug mail, and want to only check manually, simply unsubscribe from the bug.

If you're a dedicated tester, it's also a good idea to set up mail filters for bug mail so that's it's filed into a folder automatically (or multiple folders according to some criteria) rather than flooding your inbox.

kevdog
August 23rd, 2009, 01:49 AM
I do admit its annoying -- I still get frequent emails on two year old bugs that have nothing to do with the original problem.

Keyper7
August 23rd, 2009, 03:17 AM

I hate it...

Why are you complaining about Launchpad and not... you know... the people who is sending the cr@p?

This is like complaining about your email provider for receiving spam.