PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Video files are not playing...

amit.kr.nandi
August 22nd, 2009, 10:16 PM
I am using intel 865 chipset motherboard. when i double click any video file in ubuntu9.04 the player opens and then gone. I found a problem in system testing that no bars displayed. screensavers are not running smoothly. though audio files are playing correctly. how can i solve this? plssssss help !!! :)

anomis66
August 23rd, 2009, 12:39 AM
I have the same or similar problem. I believe I am using the same Intel 865 Chipset on an IBM system with a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.04. When I open .avi, .divx, .asf, .mov, .mp4, I am, prompted to search for codecs. The codecs install without incident then the player closes. If I try to open the same file again the player opens then immediately closes again. As above, screensavers are not smooth and I am unable to turn on 'Visual Effects' in Appearance Preferences (message says: Desktop effects could not be enabled).

I also have an old laptop that has been upgraded from 8.04 to 9.04, all the video files play OK on this. So the video files are not corrupt or non-standard encodings.

anomis66
August 24th, 2009, 01:24 PM
There seem to be a lot of posts about this type of problem (Totem crashing) with different files types. After reading through a lot of them, I eventually found - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582 - staring straight in the face. I must have been blind no to see it earlier. After reading the 'HowTo' article I decided that it was too heavy for a NooB like me so choose the easy option - I replaced my onboard GFX with an old NVidia 64MB card.

Result: all video types are now playing happily. :)