PDA

View Full Version : a stable desktop widget system for linux mint 7

PatrickMoore
August 22nd, 2009, 09:14 PM
nayone aware of a STABLE desktop widget set.
i normally use conky but to curb my obsession i want to try widgets similar to what vista has. any ideas?

andamaru
August 22nd, 2009, 09:24 PM
KDE 4 has a nice widget system, it allows you to use KDE 3, KDE 4, Google, and Apple widgets. If you're running Gnome or something else that isn't KDE 4 you should be able to load just the widget portion of KDE, but I'm not sure.

PatrickMoore
August 22nd, 2009, 10:46 PM
KDE 4 has a nice widget system, it allows you to use KDE 3, KDE 4, Google, and Apple widgets. If you're running Gnome or something else that isn't KDE 4 you should be able to load just the widget portion of KDE, but I'm not sure.

anything for gnome. i find kde4 to be really unstable

Metallion
August 22nd, 2009, 10:55 PM
I use screenlets and it's been working really well for me. Another one is gdesklets but I personally like screenlets better.

hyperdude111
August 22nd, 2009, 11:00 PM
anything for gnome. i find kde4 to be really unstable

KDe 4.3 is much more stable. And you can run the kde widget/plasma system inside gnome (search google).

However if you don't want to do that you have three choices.

1. Google gadgets - find the .deb on the getdeb website. Great choice of stable widgets and a sidebar if you want.

2. Screenlets - A good choice of integrated widgets such as music applet.

3. Gdesklets - Haven't tested it much but it looks similar to screenlets.

PatrickMoore
August 23rd, 2009, 04:22 AM
I use screenlets and it's been working really well for me. Another one is gdesklets but I personally like screenlets better.

really the only issue i have been having with screenlets is that when i reset my widgets they disapeer and it seems to lock up the application