PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wubi

UncleMonty
August 22nd, 2009, 08:29 PM
I want to install wubi on my mothers PC but found out she doesn't have enough ram (she uses 255 MB and it requires 256). Are there any versions of wubi that will run on a machine with such an amount of ram? Is it possible to install xubuntu in a similar way?

earthpigg
August 22nd, 2009, 08:42 PM
sometimes computer storage is counted in binary (1 and 0), sometimes it is counted in base-10 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10).

this is why a 300gb hard drive will sometimes show up as 298gb. it can be either, depending on how you count.

unless your mother's computer has some very unique and exotic hardware that she went out of her way to get her hands on, she has 256mb of ram.

Mark Phelps
August 22nd, 2009, 08:48 PM
I want to install wubi on my mothers PC but found out she doesn't have enough ram (she uses 255 MB and it requires 256). Are there any versions of wubi that will run on a machine with such an amount of ram? Is it possible to install xubuntu in a similar way?

A machine that has so little RAM typically has a slow processor as well. It would be better to run from the LiveCD first to see that it detects and installs the right drivers before you do the install.

Also, my own experience with a machine with 256MB of RAM was that it was so slow as to be all but useless -- but then, it had an old 800MHz PIII processor as well.

lisati
August 22nd, 2009, 08:51 PM
I've successfully used Ubuntu on a machine with slightly less (250 available).....Jaunty was a bit slow at times but it worked well enough for internet-related stuff (email, browsing). Xubuntu (http://xubuntu.org) might be an option worth considering.

inobe
August 22nd, 2009, 09:20 PM
xubuntu would work fine' simply select continue when you see the ram warning.

the warning is merely precise logic, a few megs below that wouldn't make noticeable difference to human eyes.

ubuntu on the other hand will be slow after starting because update manager kicks in, waiting for that activity to complete things will run smooth.

consider midori web browser over firefox with those resources.