PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] "Only one software management tool..." error

Aldentron
August 22nd, 2009, 07:41 PM
I just got my new laptop today and it runs Ubuntu, so I am very new to this OS. I am trying to install the Adobe Flash Player 10, i downloaded the .deb file and saved it to my desktop. upon trying to install it with Package Installer, i get an error message that says "Only one software management tool is allowed to run at the same time, please close other application e.g. 'Update Manager,' 'aptitude' or 'Synaptic' first."
i am not running any of these applications and do not know how to close them, if they are indeed running. please help?

stlsaint
August 22nd, 2009, 07:44 PM
do a reboot and when you get to your desktop dont open anything except add/remove or synaptic and try again!!

Aldentron
August 22nd, 2009, 07:59 PM
add/remove does not have flash player, and when i run synaptic it gives me an error "E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report."

0faber
August 22nd, 2009, 08:07 PM
Flash Player 10 from Adobe has it's own installer. You probably need to do this over. Down load it. Select "save" -- not the default "install..." Close Firefox (it can't install the plug-in while it's running. Then double click the Flash-Player box icon on your desktop. It should install from there.

If that's what you just did, forgive me.

Since you're new, I'll add: This not the usual way to install software in Ubuntu. Most of what you need will be in the Ubuntu repositories, and you can get it through "Add Remove" under "Applications" or "Synaptic Package Manager" under "System > Administration." But in this case, the version of Flash in the repositories isn't current, so you really do have to get it directly from Adobe's website (and go through some extra riggamaroll you usually don't have to bother with).

Hope this helps.

Aldentron
August 22nd, 2009, 08:19 PM
Well I am glad you told me about the repositories, but I was doing that procedure in the first place.

K.Y.A
August 22nd, 2009, 08:20 PM
Open a terminal...
Applications >> Accessories >> Terminal.

Copy/paste the following into the box:

killall dpkg

And press enter. Then try again...

I haven't had this issue in years! :P

Aldentron
August 22nd, 2009, 09:01 PM
I got "dpkg: no process killed" message.

Chronon
August 22nd, 2009, 09:04 PM
add/remove does not have flash player, and when i run synaptic it gives me an error "E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.

Did you try that?

stlsaint
August 22nd, 2009, 09:09 PM
what version of ubuntu are u on?

lisati
August 22nd, 2009, 09:11 PM

Did you try that?

I noticed the message too.

Open up a terminal (Applications->Accessories->Terminal) and type in;
sudo dpkg --configure -a
Type in your password when asked - it won't show, this is normal - and let us know how you get on.

Aldentron
August 22nd, 2009, 10:38 PM
I noticed the message too.

Open up a terminal (Applications->Accessories->Terminal) and type in;
sudo dpkg --configure -aType in your password when asked - it won't show, this is normal - and let us know how you get on.

This seemed to fix the problem, I ran the installation again and it worked this time. Thank you very much!

For future reference, whenever an error asks me to run a command manually, will I need to enter "sudo" before the command in the Terminal?

oldrocker99
August 23rd, 2009, 12:19 AM
TOP TEN REASONS NOT TO USE UBUNTU!!!

Ho ho he he haw haw giggle giggle ROTFL ROTLF!

:guitar:

prakashkumar
January 23rd, 2010, 08:53 AM
use this ,it worked for me

prakash@prakash-laptop:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
[sudo] password for prakash:
Setting up libdvbpsi5 (0.1.6-1) ...

Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
prakash@prakash-laptop:~$

now it will work good