PDA

View Full Version : MyGNUWorld.org

galgoz
February 2nd, 2006, 08:58 AM
I have registered the domain, MyGNUWorld.org (http://www.mygnuworld.org) and plan on having the site be a site designed, maintained and used by the open source community. Anyone wishing to collaberate is welcome to join in. I have installed Joomla to run the website. If there is a consensus that something else would be better I am willing to switch, specially now before content starts to show up on the site.

CompShrink
February 2nd, 2006, 01:36 PM
Do you have any goals in mind? There are a lot of linux websites out there, and a lot of community websites out there. You need a focus, a purpose or it's not likely to take off.

galgoz
February 2nd, 2006, 02:22 PM
Well, as probably expected, I am open to suggestions. I was thinking about a how to place, written out like directions in the army, that is very simply, exahustive and idiot proof. Something focused on migration from Windows maybe. Perhaps focus on a few distros (one or two for certain types of users), then on some apps.

If the project dies, then it dies, I am willing to donate the hosting and url cost. But for it to grow it will need more than me to make it happen. For several reasons. Time and Experience are two of the biggest.

Let me know. I know if this tread doesn't even go any where that I will let it die a quick death.

senning
February 8th, 2006, 12:13 AM
I don't have any suggestions, but if you want help, I'm certainly willing to give it. An example of a weekend's worth of work (would've been less if I had PHP5 and Python at my disposal): http:ini340.senning.ca.

Hope I can help,
Senning

P.S. Maybe the community market place isn't the best place to drum up enthusiasm.

CompShrink
February 8th, 2006, 03:16 AM
I agree with senning, this isn't a widely-viewed sub-forum. If your post was somewhere else, perhaps in General, you'd probablty get a lot more response.

Something I think would be useful, just randomly jumped into my head: A program equivalency list. Someone types in their favorite Windows app in a search box. The results of the search are names of Windows apps.

When clicking on one of these links, it brings up a page with one or 2 (I know there may be more, but you don't want to overwhelm new users) programs that do the same/very similar things, and an explanation of how to set it up in linux to work very similarly, and explan the differences.

I think something like this would really help ease in the new converts from Windows to Linux.

Of course, when the Windows program searched for isn't found, make an link to where you can request it be added.

galgoz
February 8th, 2006, 04:11 AM
I am not sure about posting this in the other forums. There are rules about what can and can't be posted and this could be a grey area. Besides that, the more dedicated users are the ones that will hit this form in my thinking. Could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

If you want to help. You are welcome. Register on the site and I will give you admin privliges. If you don't think Joomla is right for the job, let me know and let me know how else you would like to do the site. It might be misunderstood as laziness but I am wanting the OS community to control the direction of the site.

CompShrink
February 10th, 2006, 03:08 AM
Dedicated or not, I don't think anyone really looks at Community Market Place, look at the number of threads and posts, and currently viewing compared to other sections. You won't get much attention from anyone here.

The only way I found this thread was clicking the "Get Unanswered Posts" link. Obviously this thread now has posts, so...

By the way, it's usually refered to as OSS or FOSS (Open Source Software or Free Open Source Software).

galgoz
February 10th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Ok, I took all of your suggestions and posted to the Community Chat's main board. I also installed SMF on the site so that discussion can take place there. Hope to see you all there.

http://www.MyGnuWorld.org