PDA

View Full Version : Would an Intel GMA950 be able to play HoN?

nomnomnom
August 22nd, 2009, 06:42 PM
Is it too weak?

xuCGC002
August 22nd, 2009, 06:45 PM
How much VRAM do you have? 128mb is the minimum.

nomnomnom
August 22nd, 2009, 06:51 PM
The MOBO I'm looking at has an Intel Atom Dualcore, with the GMA 950. It can take 2GB of RAM and the 950 can be given 224MB of VRAM (share).

But are the opensource Intel drivers up to it? Do they support openGL 2.1 yet?

BuffaloX
August 22nd, 2009, 07:19 PM
Wow that looks pretty cool.
Unfortunately it seems impossible to find hardware requirements for this game, and it seems you need some sort of invite to play it.

But judging from the graphics (youtube videos), I would say no you can't.
If you want to play this sort of games, why would you consider Intel graphics at all? Atom is not a good platform for it either.

nomnomnom
August 22nd, 2009, 07:22 PM
Wow that looks pretty cool.
Unfortunately it seems impossible to find hardware requirements for this game, and it seems you need some sort of invite to play it.

But judging from the graphics (youtube videos), I would say no you can't.
If you want to play this sort of games, why would you consider Intel graphics at all? Atom is not a good platform for it either.

I'm really curious about KMS, and the opensource Intel drivers.....

BuffaloX
August 22nd, 2009, 07:30 PM
Wouldn't it make more sense to go AMD/ATI instead then?

nomnomnom
August 22nd, 2009, 07:31 PM
Wouldn't it make more sense to go AMD/ATI instead then?

I already have ATi.......

It sucks.....

BuffaloX
August 22nd, 2009, 08:01 PM
Oh That's too bad.

I have an ATI 4770, and am very happy with it.
I haven't tried the open source driver yet, but my wife has an 4830 which seems to work OK with it.

nomnomnom
August 22nd, 2009, 08:08 PM
Oh That's too bad.

I have an ATI 4770, and am very happy with it.
I haven't tried the open source driver yet, but my wife has an 4830 which seems to work OK with it.

I have a Radeon Xpress X1450 in my laptop. With the 9.3 Catalyst driver on Hardy it sucks with pretty much everything. With the opensource driver on Jaunty/Karmic it sucks with everything.

I can't win... :(

BuffaloX
August 22nd, 2009, 08:41 PM
Unfortunately the best option for gaming is Nvidia, good hardware and good drivers, but specs are closed to the open source community.

Intel actively develops open source drivers, but their hardware suck.

ATI hardware is good, but their drivers are not as good as Nvidia, they have opened specs for open source, but the open source drivers are still far behind.

I still believe ATI is the best option of the three.
Your Radeon Xpress X1450 is probably no longer supported by the proprietary driver, but with a newer card/chip, the proprietary driver should work OK, and at the same time, give you the option of playing with the open source driver.

nomnomnom
August 22nd, 2009, 08:50 PM
Unfortunately the best option for gaming is Nvidia, good hardware and good drivers, but specs are closed to the open source community.

Intel actively develops open source drivers, but their hardware suck.

ATI hardware is good, but their drivers are not as good as Nvidia, they have opened specs for open source, but the open source drivers are still far behind.

I still believe ATI is the best option of the three.
Your Radeon Xpress X1450 is probably no longer supported by the proprietary driver, but with a newer card/chip, the proprietary driver should work OK, and at the same time, give you the option of playing with the open source driver.

You should really try the opensource driver before saying that... :P

Warpnow
August 22nd, 2009, 09:00 PM
...What does HoN stand for?

Greg
August 22nd, 2009, 09:00 PM
...What does HoN stand for?

Heroes of Newerth, a standalone DotA knock-off.

Skripka
August 22nd, 2009, 09:27 PM
Is it too weak?

If you're wanting to do any kind of gaming-don't even bother wasting your time/money with integrated graphics. They are not designed for that level or type of load, and therefore do very poorly in such circumstances.

BuffaloX
August 22nd, 2009, 09:31 PM
You should really try the opensource driver before saying that... :P

Oh what I wrote could easily be misunderstood.
By "play with Open source driver" I meant it like experiment, not that it would actually be good enough for playing games with yet.

Warpnow
August 22nd, 2009, 09:34 PM
I have an atom netbook and the intel graphics aren't the problem.

The atom is not designed anything above web browsing and word processing. Run apt-get upgrade consumed 90% of cpu use.

madjr
August 23rd, 2009, 04:50 AM
Is it too weak?

if you can play warcraft 3 DoTa at mid/high settings then yes you might be able to play HoN at lower settings (but is not guaranteed) so go ask the devs themselves at s2 forums

http://heroesofnewerth.com/

3rdalbum
August 23rd, 2009, 05:40 AM
The MOBO I'm looking at has an Intel Atom Dualcore, with the GMA 950. It can take 2GB of RAM and the 950 can be given 224MB of VRAM (share).

But are the opensource Intel drivers up to it? Do they support openGL 2.1 yet?

Why are you looking at the Atom?

It's a processor for netbooks, nettops, mobile phones and small home servers. If "playing games" comes into it, then it's not an appropriate platform. The whole Atom platform is designed for low power consumption, which should give you a clue about its use in gaming - Atom pairs a super-low-power processor with a previous-generation integrated graphics solution that is underclocked to save power.

If you *must* get a motherboard with an Atom, then look at the Nvidia Ion platform - it pairs an Atom with an Nvidia 9300M GPU.

Better yet, have a look on eBay for Mini-ITX motherboards that have AM2 (AMD) or LGA775 (Intel) sockets and a PCI-E slot; there are some out there. That way you can have a reasonably powerful processor like a Phenom or Core 2, plus a graphics card of your choosing, in a small-form-factor.

Or get a real desktop PC and a basic Atom machine, and use the full-featured desktop for games and the Atom for whatever else.